Give me a little Homework

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

running out the door to dive....this is killin me, ya'll playin in my sandbox, and i gotta leave! Can't wait to read the input.

catherine96821:
thank-you! I was interested in sharpening, I have to see if my Elements will do that. i hear CS ll is like 700 K.

It can and we will and more than that....CSII, for 700k? I found a special, if you buy a wacom ($219) you get CS 2 for 299.-...not a bad deal

Diver Dennis:
Yes, since I'm moving toward a different style of diving I told Catherine you are coming to Bali...
Good. Deposit sent. :D

JeffG:
and all that can be done later. The point I was trying to make is that Catherine doesn't need to purchase anything right now. There are lots of "nice to haves", but if you don't have good raw material, your still going to end up with $%#$. So as far as her course goes...new software should be after the class IMO.

You have more latitude with two strobes so she will probably go with two some time in the future. So why not go with two now?. That way she will be tutored how to use them on her course, and not have to start learning again if she go's with two after the course

catherine96821:
<snip>

I am getting a hard drive for the huge RAW files. Any advice for uploading to laptop? Cardbus PCMCIA adapter for your CF cards

I have the 12-24 mm, 105 mm, and the 10.5mm lenses Is this suffiicient? Yep.

Should I spring for the second strobe? Ike 125 DX? Yep. The flexibilty (especially Macro) will pay off fast.

Do you all think I should take CS II? I only have Photoshop elements... CS ll = $$ Pass on the investment. Put your money on making better images in the camera, and you won't need all the PS tools.

My main question is about what to study and what to buy before then. I gotta keep up with Dennis! Just thinkin'...work on above water shots, especially creative ones. If you can shoot creatively topside, you'll be able to do it U/W.

Thanks,
Catherine
All the best, James

For downloading my cards I like the Nexto CF readers. Put a 100 gig drive in them and on the internal battery you should be able download 20-30 gigs on a full charge. The external batteries are reasonable. With those you get another 60+ gigs.

The unit is about 7"x4"x3/4" and will download a 2 gig card in 3 minutes. I've got a pair of them both with Toshiba 100 gig drives. I love them. This way I don't bring my laptop on the boat.

wow. I see how ya'll are. So now Dennis has given away my first class ticket to Bali!

And OEX2 thinks I need DIR-f to take pictures. Fdog...the voice of reason. I need to see how many RAW images my card holds. Should I get a second card or just upload on the boat? The flashcard says 1024 MB (Kingston)

catherine96821:
wow. I see how ya'll are. So now Dennis has given away my first class ticket to Bali!

And OEX2 thinks I need DIR-f to take pictures. Fdog...the voice of reason. I need to see how many RAW images my card holds. Should I get a second card or just upload on the boat? The flashcard says 1024 MB (Kingston)

What camera are you shooting with? D70(s)? Shooting RAW on a 1G card will allow about 170 or so, which I find is fine for me for 2 dives. I would definitely get another card if not a couple. I've had a card crap out on me before and I'd hate to be stuck with no spares if that happens. I've seen some 4G cards for around $150, and perhaps even less if you look around some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom