Glasses in B.C. pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very nearsighted (-9.5 diopters) and use a prescription mask.

For shore dives, I use an older pair of glasses to find my way into the water through the shallows. After I put my fins on, I stow the glasses in an eyeglass case from Marsoop, clipped off in a BC pocket. It doubles as a croakie-type retainer when I'm wearing the glasses, though it's a bit bulky as a retainer. (I think I've got the floating type, made of thin neoprene.)

No need to protect from pressure or even salt water; there shouldn't (?) be any ferrous or non-stainless metal in your glasses. Even the screws on my glasses are brass, I think.

The case is mainly to protect from scratches, and to provide a clip so I don't lose a $700 pair of glasses. :11:

I haven't broken a lens or mashed the frame yet, even with an inflated BC.

--Marek

I just wear my glasses onto the boat and leave them on until I'm geared up and then put my mask on, leaving my glasses in a boat bag I always take. I have actually dropped in wearing my glasses before as sometimes I don't put my mask on while on the boat...:shakehead Never lost any though.

Shore dives are the same, after gearing up take your glasses off last thing and wear your mask into the water.

Diver Dennis:
I just wear my glasses onto the boat and leave them on until I'm geared up and then put my mask on, leaving my glasses in a boat bag I always take. [...] Shore dives are the same
I agree with you for a boat dive. I leave my glasses on board, since I've got such a short way to go between gearing up and deploying.

But my mask only has spherical correction; no cylinder for my astigmatism. Things are just fine underwater, but a little weird in the air. Plus it's just not comfortable wearing a mask for a long walk across the sand and through the shallows, while breathing through my mouth.

I use to keep my glasses in a standard case that has a snap clip on it. I hang it near my gear on the dive boat up out of the way, or if you leave anything on shore, snap it to your gear bag or box. Since I had LASIK done I now leave my $120 sun glasses in similar case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom