Global bleaching ratchets up . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just reading this too. I read a different piece today talking about how the GBR is seeing its worst bleaching event too

"All the coral scientists BBC News spoke to said that we must accept that reefs as we know them will permanently change and small-scale restoration work cannot save coral globally."

Between May and September last year, the beautiful reefs of the Jardines de la Reina south of Cuba were devastated by bleaching and, presumably, SCTLD (although the locals insist there is none, we saw, in January, what we thought was clear evidence of it). Between May last year and now, the beloved hard corals of Bonaire took a body-blow from SCTLD, and also experienced significant bleaching (which, ironically, slows the SCTLD). Neither Cuba's nor Bonaire's reefs are "dead," whatever that would be, but they are tragically diminished.

We're trundling our preposterous carbon footprint out to North Sulewesi in a couple of days, and NOAA's Bleaching Heat Stress predictions indicate that conditions are good now; so I happily charge batteries and grease o-rings with visions of All The Things dancing in my head. But Level 2 bleaching is expected by mid-summer. NOAA doesn't have a Level 3, so that's bad; but at least there's no SCTLD in Indonesia. Let it always be thus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom