Glove promo is over/post reviews here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That paradym BTW, was established long BEFORE this product was introduced and while other webbed gloves have been around a long time, none have worked very well. Today, maybe these will and a new paradym will be established.

Webbed gloves have been around for quite some time - ...
I think we can agree that 500+ years is a more-than-sufficient evaluation period.

They had candles 500 years ago as well. While a small segment of people still refuse to use anything else, most people think the light bulb is an improvement.

If a diver were to use them only for minor adjustments and not as an added means of propulsion, then the only harm I see is the loss of dexterity.

That's my plan.

They had candles 500 years ago as well. While a small segment of people still refuse to use anything else, most people think the light bulb is an improvement.

Apples and Orangutans......C'mon Dave, that's really weak.

Candles don't last as long, don't provide the illumination, are a fire hazard, are dirty and can be difficult to keep lit.

If you could come up with a clear list of advantages of webbed gloves over just fins that compared to the advantages of light bulbs over candles, it would be difficult to disagree with you.

You can do better... can't you?

If you could come up with a clear list of advantages of webbed gloves over just fins that compared to the advantages of light bulbs over candles, it would be difficult to disagree with you.

You can do better... can't you?

Take a look at the video. A back kick, even performed by a skilled diver, is simply not an efficient use of fins on the feet. One simple hand movement with webbed gloves would be easier, less disruptive and the diver would use less gas to cover the same distance.

When I'm shooting, my left hand is holding my light head and my right hand is holding the camera. Were I shooting with a real camera, both hands would be occupied with the camera.

Take a look at the video you posted and ask yourself what it would look like if the cameraman were relying on his hands to maintain position.

Take a look at the video. A back kick, even performed by a skilled diver, is simply not an efficient use of fins on the feet. One simple hand movement with webbed gloves would be easier, less disruptive and the diver would use less gas to cover the same distance.

Okay, but what if you are holding things. Even in one hand, could you back up in a straight line with horizontal trim using only your hands?

Er uh.. Dave already asked... Dave...

Dave vs Dave

When I'm shooting, my left hand is holding my light head and my right hand is holding the camera. Were I shooting with a real camera, both hands would be occupied with the camera.

Take a look at the video you posted and ask yourself what it would look like if the cameraman were relying on his hands to maintain position.

When I shoot video, I'm not using a light head. If I'm shooting where I need the video lights, I can still hold the rig steady with one hand. So, yes, one hand can allow me to make small movements in virtually any direction while using my fins to provide additional stability.

I just ordered a pair for evaluation. I'll put up some video once I get them to the pool. Till then, I'll bow out of the thread.

When I shoot video, I'm not using a light head. If I'm shooting where I need the video lights, I can still hold the rig steady with one hand. So, yes, one hand can allow me to make small movements in virtually any direction while using my fins to provide additional stability.

And I think where people may be getting confused (including the OP) is thinking that these are great and fit every situation. Definitely not. Anybody that thinks that is still hungry when they realized they were a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Perhaps the scenario that *dave* introduced is one where they are not of any assistance. However, I can see Dave's (Teamcasa)point. I will ask though, how many situations have you ever found yourself in where you had nothing blocking you (such as a reef) in front that you would want to back out of? The problem is, if there is something in front of you that you are so close to that you must back up as opposed to breathing deep and swimming up on an angle, an errant "hand flip" will likely kick up the bottom and possibly even break off chunks of the coral - all from the movement of water from an errant hand motion.

I agree that to back up, would likely be much more efficient using the gloved hands in the setting that the diver did in that video. However if you are taking a picture or shooting video up close, I do not see the hand motion being a possibility (at least in some instances).

Back
Top Bottom