Glueing gopro to hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony13

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on where to mount my new gopro so it I'll be hands free. I would like to head mount it and have a few friends doing it with the head strap and home made chin strap attached. I would prefer to glue the base directly to the hood using aquaseal. Has anyone tried this or has another method of mounting to hood?
Thx,
Tony

I would reconsider this mounting idea. You will probably end up with some shaky video which can be nauseating to watch. Maybe think about a BC shoulder strap mount. Just search YouTube for GoPro scuba mount videos and you will see what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that has the camera mounted to a climbing helmet with lights attached on the sides. He uses it in wrecks. They are pretty steady, no less so than a stick. It's not as if your head is swinging around fast and furious.

20151224_122800_resized.jpg
Here's a sj4000 like the go pro only whole camera and housing with about 5 mounts only setup cost about:eyebrow: $80. If your mask has a plastic rim like this cheap mask use 5 minute epoxy to bond the mount to the mask.:wink:

The helmet is an option but would like to avoid one more piece of gear, that's why I'd love to glue it to hood. One of my buddies puts the head strap under his hood, I'd like to try that but am afraid of cold water getting in and giving me a head freeze. I would think a bc mount would not give me the best angle at all times, in proper dive trim its one thing and if kneeling another. (We do some digging so theres kneeling). The mask mount I'm not sure about, I have an Atomic frameless which I love so I'd have to look at it.

Make sure that the camera has a lanyard that is attached to something. Mask/head mounted cameras have a habit of getting knocked off.

My buddy had a head mount and it was lost on the first dive and not noticed until we were following the line back and low and behold there it was in the sand. I didn't notice it was gone because I wasn't focused on it, just my buddy and the dive. I agree too...video will be nauseating from instability. But it's up to each of us to determine what works best, but we do like to save each other some bucks and hassles!

My buddy had a head mount and it was lost on the first dive and not noticed until we were following the line back and low and behold there it was in the sand. I didn't notice it was gone because I wasn't focused on it, just my buddy and the dive. I agree too...video will be nauseating from instability. But it's up to each of us to determine what works best, but we do like to save each other some bucks and hassles!

My most recent head mount video... not that stable, but it gives the POV perspective of a hunter. I think it works.. I use a head strap with a chin strap. Don't over think this... the chin strap addition makes all the difference in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom