goin' down ... descent tips for newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another addition:
Many divers dump as much gas as they can. The makes them really negative from the get-go, and uber-negative as they reach depth. A [-]better[/-] different idea is to dump just as much as you need to in order to break the surface, and to then continuously add gas to your BC throughout the descent to maintain as close to neutral buoyancy as possible. Descending at a constant rate makes the whole thing much easier to control, and you can stop on a dime if you need to. On the other hand, if you are negative throughout the descent, you will be accelerating downwards (at least until you hit terminal velocity), and you'll have to add a ton of gas to stop.
Good point, and one I have to make to some students more than once. Perhaps it's implied in the technique Bob described but I think you can't over-emphasize the need to gradually [-]dump[/-] release air on the surface.

Best regards,
Bryan

PS. I found using the term "release" instead of "dump" seems to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom