Going back to Indo in December 2015 - But were....after Raja Ampat??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Wakatobi is booked and I will certainly provide an honest report in about a year or so..lol....
I was searching for alternative options to Komodo Dive Resort, which gets mostly glowing reviews from what I can see. Came across Angel Island Resort today. It's a little closer to Labuan Bajo, but that might mean longer boat trips to the dive sites?
Has anybody stayed there?

Yes I stayed at Angel isle in august 2010, the bungalows are just awesome and they have one of the nicest public beach of the bay but I wouldn't recommend the dive centre to anyone, lack of anticipation, lack of professionalism. You might check the trip report I wrote about, just use the search function.

May be they evolved, maybe they haven't, with their old slow boats it takes almost 2h just to get to Batu Bolong... I have seen their bungalows price more than doubled, which is a crazy price when I remember the very poor food that was served. All in all I would rather stay in Labuan Bajo, but my first choice would be Komodo Dive resort obviously...

Last edited:
Hmmm....thanks for that inside Luko. I wonder if things changed from 5 years ago???
Interestingly enough, Komodo resort hasn't replied to any of my emails in 2 weeks, Angel Island Resort, however, very responsive, informational and friendly. They had some mediocre Trip Advisor reviews a few years back, but much better in the recent month.

One of the major problems with Angel Isle resort is that they did not cater for more than 2 dives per day, which I think is much time and dives lost considering the time it takes with their uncomfortable slow pinisi to get to the sites.
One day we even had to be towed by another boat to return back after one dive, I asked whether they could manage three dives the day after, the instructors apologized that their boat couldn't carry as many tanks on their boat for everyone (?!) when I then asked for house reef dives, Kathleen Mitchinson, dive manager and owner replied to me "I told you we are not a dive resort and I have more important things to do than dive with the customers"... okaaaay... great customer relationship practice.

My advice would then be make sure they can and will cater more than two dives per day, if you want to. Personally I felt very frustrated. The manager is still in charge but the instructors quit they are now at Misool.

The rainy season in Indonesia is unpredictable and changing every year I live here! It should be better in December the further east you go, so Raja Ampat, Alor, Ambon, but I know from a few guys that particularly Raja has not been so good over December. In Komodo, Nov - Dec, generally has light winds, tending from North West with occasional strong winds in northern areas, the South can be very calm, some rain, but some good days too. I would avoid North Sulawesi, good chance of big storms that make diving impossible, was in Manado last Christmas, and we had a huge storm that cut the whole city off, couldn't even drive on the roads! A friend of mine was trapped on Bunaken for 2 days, couldn't get back to the mainland. Alor is a good bet, the flights are awkward but you have to chose your days, should be possible to fly Bali - Kupang - Alor on the same day, there are a 2 resorts there now, so should be able to find availability, but they both book up early over Christmas itself. The flights do get more expensive in December so best to book them early, hope that helps.

Blow the budget! Alexa Private Cruises is a exclusive charter boat for just two guests - itineraries include Komodo. Why not do it in style :wink: ALEXA | Indonesia Yacht Charter | Exclusive Luxury

Sure .....from 3000 to 4500 USD per night - depending on route and season...haha, c'mon Powerball......

LOL, I went with Angel Island.

Luko, Kate stated that they stopped taking day divers coming from Labuanbajo in 2012, so that might have made a big difference....

LOL, I went with Angel Island.

Luko, Kate stated that they stopped taking day divers coming from Labuanbajo in 2012, so that might have made a big difference....
Good... anyway, tell us more when you'll be back :) .
To be honest I think they couldn't be worse otherwise I think their dive op would have closed, so it's a sign it has evolved in the good direction.

Back
Top Bottom