Going for Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started the course with 158 dives which for me seemed about right. I also studied the manual and other required texts for months ahead (this was the pre 2010 "old course"). This helped a lot with the written tests. Train to be able to swim the 400 meter/yard test well enough. As far as what shop-- if you intend to assist with classes and/or DM charters ask what the shop may offer you once you are certified in the form of paid employment. Much as I have totally enjoyed my time as a DM I would not do it for free.

Forgot to mention the Joe Diver started thread sticky above--helped me immensely, though some of it may be a little out of date now.

Hi grandjapmaster1 :)

No matter how much experience you have as a diver, even professionally, you want to get back into the rhythm of the diver lifestyle!
What I mean by this, is that your expectations of the dive industry and your daily activities are realistic.
As for increasing the number of your dives, it’s really neither here nor there.
I myself would need some time to get back in the ‘swing of things’ if I were to get back into teaching full-time – I’ve dived a lot in my career, in an instructional capacity and for leisure, but because I’ve had almost a years’ hiatus from full time instruction, I know I need time to gain my confidence and skills like before :)

But it’s like riding a bike, you know! :wink:
Our Go PRO advisors always encourage our Go PRO internship candidates to arrive at least a week or two earlier than our scheduled PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) for example. That time will be invaluable for them to get to know the local area that they will be in everyday to meet the performance requirements to enrol on the PADI Instructor Examination (IE).
Our Go PRO team will counsel (not pander) candidates to gain their confidence by exerting their own independence.
The earlier a candidate is involved with our dive operations, the more they will get to know our Go PRO team and receive invaluable knowledge.

So, don’t worry about the number of dives you have, because our Go PRO team won’t factor it as a benchmark for how ‘experienced’ you are! Think of living the diver lifestyle…like our Go PRO team do!

I really like teaching a DM course. But I try and be very clear to my students.
first, if done correctly DM is hard. it should be very strong on academics, dive physics, dive physiology, dive planning, safety and dive risk management. A DM needs to know this stuff cold. And it is physically hard. A DM has to be able to handle, manage, rescue other divers. And the DM skills must be demonstration quality. Divers will model the behavior of the DM. So the DM must have perfect buoyancy and in-water skills.
second, a DM class can be very expensive. And I do not mean the cost of the class. DM class is where you figure out that you need different gear. a lot of people spend $1,000-$2,000 on upgrading their equipment as they go thru a DM class.
third, before you get to DM you need some varied dive experience and that means other specialties and skills. AOW, nitrox and Rescue Diver at the least and things like deep, navigation, wreck are good building blocks. Plus specialties based on your local conditions like drysuit, ice, drift, etc.

that all said, the question I ask people is "Why?"

if you want to improve your skills and knowledge there are a lot of specialties you can take that will accomplish that.
if you just want a c-card that says DM to impress other divers and your friends that's fine....just a lot of time and money.
BUT if you want to guide, lead divers in the water, assist an instructor, help other divers and be responsible for other divers then DM is the right path. As a dive professional you'll need insurance and with 85 dives you'll need a lot more dives before your skills are sharp enough (and under all conditions).

DM is also hard work, with long hours and little pay. But it is fun and you do get to dive a lot!

if a shop tells you their DM is easy and encourage you to take it they are probably the wrong shop. DM is hard and you have to want ti for the right reasons. I turn more people down than I teach.

Just out of curiosity, what are your objectives for doing the Divemaster rating? Are you taking it because you'd like to teach someday or because it seems like the natural progression of the ladder PADI presented to you?..

I agree this is the most important thing. If you are going to OWSI then the sooner DM is done the better. If you want to progress your diving skills then DM isn't going to help very much IMHO. PADI push the "pro" agenda as it makes money for them and the IDC outlets.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 01:20 PM ----------

....... DM class is where you figure out that you need different gear. a lot of people spend $1,000-$2,000 on upgrading their equipment as they go thru a DM class.......

if a shop tells you their DM is easy and encourage you to take it.......

These two items have an obvious connection :D

I am in the same boat as you buddy, But I take all the the opinions from instructors seriously but with a grain of salt. Half will want people like us to do it because they will make money of it( not as in a scam just is the way it is) the other half are the kinda people that will scare you away because of ego concerns. I think it is simple and comes down to 2 things

1) Step out side your self and would you want to be guided by a diver with your skills and qualities? would you want to know during that dive that a person with your skills and abilities was most likely the first responder in a diving emergency? If you are good with that and you meet the requirements step up and do it. Experience is the best teacher period. I have wasted way more money on bar tabs and crap I cant remember if the worst thing I ever did was blow some money on a dive course I am good.
2) Are you gonna use the rating???? To me alot of these post have hit it on the head, if you really dont want to slave away on a dive boat for any length of time then maybe pursuing more advanced courses would be a better benefit at this time and then latter if you do want to check out of the 9-5 you would be better suited for the DM any way.

either way good luck man, chasing your dreams can not be a bad thing.

Good evening divers, question...im considering about taking the divemaster course...I really want it. I have the necessary certs an skills to begin any time. But started thinking, i have 85 dives at the moment I would feel better if I had more dives under my belt, at least 120 only because to have more experience an not just jumping into it. My question is how does one determine whats a good shop to go through to get the best training. ..types of questions to ask, what services that shop provides....something that i KNOW i've made a right decision in choosing the RIGHT dive shop? Thanks all for yhe input.
Very late reply--Ive just found this section.
I am doing my DM course very shortly so have the "pack" etc.
The question I have to ask is WHY do you want to get a divemaster cert?
I think its a really good question to ask of yourself before going"there"
Your diving skills aren't in my opinion going to improve one bit.
If you want to improve your own diving skills theres still a lot of padi courses you can take with the introduction of the "tech" section.
I think though if you are looking to go professional or genuinely want to be able to help other divers then go for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom