going on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The food was fine. I was just glad not to be the one having to cook it so I wasn't about to be picky. They usually had salad with everything and a couple of different meat items. I didn't find it hard to find something especially since I don't eat red meat. There was plenty for everyone. If you have some allergy or require a special diet, you should contact them ahead so they can adjust for it.

My cabin was next to the engine room so the first night I didn't sleep at all! After that, I was fine. The cabin I was in was quite nice. It had it's own shower, toilet and sink. One bed was a double, the other a single and there's space beneath it for your luggage. I think most of the cabins were like this except for the ones on the top deck. They had queen or king beds. There was also a more general quarters area that slept about 4-6 people in bunks. I didn't have a chance to see that room as it was accessed from a different door than my cabin. There is a dryer on board if you get wet as well as a gear shower. The Indy (skiff) works well. There is a space below each seat for you to stow your fins, mask etc. but make sure your stuff is well secured or it could blow off during the high speed ride out. And make sure your drysuit is done up completely or you'll get wet on the ride!! You leave everything on the skiff between dives (except for you suit) and they load the skiff onto the back of the NExp.

My club is highly organized so I'm used to going into the water in a specific order. Those not going in first, help those that are get ready. That wasn't the case here. Basically, they get to the site and say "okay, we're here. Be back in an hour". So everyone is scrambling to get in. They were pretty strict on when you should be coming back as well as when the "Indy" was departing the NExp. as they are working around the tides.

Diverlady

diverlady once bubbled...
The food was fine. I was just glad not to be the one having to cook it so I wasn't about to be picky. They usually had salad with everything and a couple of different meat items. I didn't find it hard to find something especially since I don't eat red meat. There was plenty for everyone. If you have some allergy or require a special diet, you should contact them ahead so they can adjust for it.

My cabin was next to the engine room so the first night I didn't sleep at all! After that, I was fine. The cabin I was in was quite nice. It had it's own shower, toilet and sink. One bed was a double, the other a single and there's space beneath it for your luggage. I think most of the cabins were like this except for the ones on the top deck. They had queen or king beds. There was also a more general quarters area that slept about 4-6 people in bunks. I didn't have a chance to see that room as it was accessed from a different door than my cabin. There is a dryer on board if you get wet as well as a gear shower. The Indy (skiff) works well. There is a space below each seat for you to stow your fins, mask etc. but make sure your stuff is well secured or it could blow off during the high speed ride out. And make sure your drysuit is done up completely or you'll get wet on the ride!! You leave everything on the skiff between dives (except for you suit) and they load the skiff onto the back of the NExp.

My club is highly organized so I'm used to going into the water in a specific order. Those not going in first, help those that are get ready. That wasn't the case here. Basically, they get to the site and say "okay, we're here. Be back in an hour". So everyone is scrambling to get in. They were pretty strict on when you should be coming back as well as when the "Indy" was departing the NExp. as they are working around the tides.

Hi diverlady
When did you go? The people I dive with are the same we help each other out when getting into water so I hope no surprices, but I am going with a group there well be about 6 of us so I think we all well some how manage and assist each other since some of the group I already dove with before.

:)

I went in May 2002. There were 7 of us from my club but we were spread out on the skiff so there was no way to get to each other to help out as there's not much room to move around. Most of the time my buddy and I sat back and let the others fight their way in then we went in when the rush was over. An hour was generally more than enough time for us.

If you have a chance after the liveaboard, take the ferry over to Nanaimo and dive the Cape Breton and Saskatchewan (charter required). They were great. I could go back again just to dive those wrecks!

Diverlady

PS I did make it onto their webpage under the historical captain's logs for May11, 2002. Second pic down - far left. :)

Hey to all who gave me some advice on the B.C. Liveaboard, thanks for all your wisdom on the topic which was well used.
I loved B.C. diving it was great, mostly wall dives and done during slack tide and you got to love that kelp for safety stops.
Did some diving with seals, they are alot of fun and interesting to watch under water. Saw king crabs, huge sea cucumbers some octopus tones of fish eg rock fish, up to 4ft in length. Did some wrecks, one of which was called the capilano, top deck started about 120ft, penetrable for the experienced diver.
I am hooked on diving on the west coast. The boat I was on was fab!!!!!! food was great, the boat was large enough so if you wanted to be alone you could fine a spot to be alone, I hear you don't always get that on some liveaboards eg blackbeards this is what I was told by a diver who has been on at least 20 times on a blackbeard trip, he paid the same price for a B.C. liveaboard as he did for the blackbeard.
I am planning on going again either earily spring or mid Aug. to end of Sept. I hear is the best time for vis and marine life.
Hopefully some of you ontario fresh water freaks could join me???
Later!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :jump:

Back
Top Bottom