Going solo - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There is a pond in Houston called "Lake 288", 25-30 feet deep. Many scuba divers come here to test equipment, do some dives for experience, certification, etc.

I know that there is a buddy system that is a must when diving. However, if I go to check my equipment, stay on the shallow end, etc, do I need a buddy? With 20 feet a regular depth, not much can happen and become an emergency.

Would it be utterly foolish to go solo?

There is nothing wrong with solo diving as long as certain conditions are met.

1 - you must be a competent diver with good skills in bouyancy
2- you must have the knowledge and understanding to make predive gas planning calculations
3 - you should have the ability to remain calm even in the face of life and death emergencies. Tiny problems can compound quickly when you aren't rational.
4 - It's best if the solo dives are being done in a place you previously dived with a buddy.

If you are still a new diver, please don't go solo. There are too many things that can go wrong which you can't plan for if you don't have enough experience. It's best if you've had a few problems with a buddy so you know whow you will responds to emergencies.

I don't know your experience level... but if you have ask, I'd say that it might be better to dive with someone else who is interested in doing the same thing you're trying to get accomplished. How hard would it be to ask another diver to take a shallow dive to work on equipment or buoyancy, etc? 20' can seem a long way down when something has gone wrong. Don't assume nothing will go wrong.

There is a pond in Houston called "Lake 288", 25-30 feet deep. Many scuba divers come here to test equipment, do some dives for experience, certification, etc.

I know that there is a buddy system that is a must when diving. However, if I go to check my equipment, stay on the shallow end, etc, do I need a buddy? With 20 feet a regular depth, not much can happen and become an emergency.

Would it be utterly foolish to go solo?

You will find the whole solo/buddy question has been discussed here many times. I don't say this to admonish you for bringing it up, but rather to point out that this is one of the most controversial subjects in recreational scuba. Many new divers are tempted to go solo because they don't know many other divers and can't get buddies to go diving with them when they want. This was the case with me. I occasionally will dive solo, but my first solo dives were in my first year of diving when I wanted to dive and didn't have a buddy. In a "do as I say, not as I do" moment, I have to say that solo diving is probably a bad idea. I know there are a lot of pros-and-cons on this subject. But at least with a buddy, there is someone who knows approximately where you are so the Coast Guard knows where to drag for your body. :)

In the US, there is nothing illegal about diving without a buddy, in most places. I do know a few places where local ordinances prohibit solo diving. (Such as the Edmonds Underwater Park, in WA state.) I still do make occasional, and very rare, solo dives. But the more experience I get, the less I'm inclined to dive solo. Getting older, my air consumption is not what it used to be. So, for example, when I'm diving in Roatan with a group, when I'm getting low, I'll go back toward the boat on my own and spend the last 10-15 minutes noodling around under the boat at 20-25ft by myself. I guess that's sort of solo diving.

All that said, I'd really recommend a diver to have at least 100 dives before considering diving solo. And you should look into a class. One agency, I think it's SDI, has a solo diver certification. Also, I know a enormously experienced instructor-certifier who used to teach a "diving self sufficiency" class.

While I agree that a 20ft dive is less hazardous than a much deeper dive, don't forget that you only have to hold your breath for 4-5 feet to kill yourself, or injure yourself badly. If nothing else, take a redundant air supply like a pony bottle, a spare mask and at least 2 knives.

I would highly recommend that you undertake the appropriate training and gain the necessary experience before undertaking any type of solo diving. SDI offer a pretty comprehensive Solo Diver course.

Depending on your abilities as stated a shallow dive shouldnt be a concern. Its best to be drilled in emergency procedures prior to solo diving and redundant gear with much depth should be considered.

I would search for a number of other times that this has been discussed here. I also admit that I solo.

Solo is not about removing the responsibility of keeping an eye on your buddy from your diving routine. Its about swapping that obligation for a new set of more more onerous obligations towards yourself.

If you understand that, understand the additional challenges and risks that you have and your skill level is up to mitigating these risks (you are only kidding yourself if they are not) then you are good to go.

If you need to ask the question here on SB, then odds are you are better off seeking a buddy.

What kind of equipment check do you need to carry out at 20 feet in a pond that can't be accomplished in four feet of water at your local swimming pool? If you are asking permission to dive solo don't conflate that with equipment testing.

Would you go over Victoria Falls in a barrel because a bunch of strangers told you it was OK? Everything you undertake beyond the limits you learned in OW involves additional risk. You must what these risks are, and how to mitigate them. Take the course. Learn the techniques and additional risks associated with solo diving. Then decide if it is something you really want to do.

If all you want to do is check your equipment, that is what swimming pools are for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom