Going to Australia next....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superhawkgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there!

I just got open water certified in Monterey in August. I have been diving with Island Divers in Oahu this year and now I am heading to Australia. Any tips/advice/suggested dive shops out there are welcomed!

Do you know where you'll be heading? If you go to the Barrier reef, go up to Port Douglas and go on a three-dive day with either Silversonic or Poseidon. The water will be about 27 degrees celsius, or 80-ish fahrenheit. You'll wear a stinger suit, as it's now irukandji and box jelly season here.

Do you know where you'll be heading?QUOTE]

Well, since I am brand new to diving and not super familar with the great dive spots of Australia, the only destination I had in mind is the Barrier Reef. Is flying into Carins the best bet? I will likely start from Melbourne since I will be visiting Phillip Island on this trip as well.

Do you know where you'll be heading?QUOTE]

Well, since I am brand new to diving and not super familar with the great dive spots of Australia, the only destination I had in mind is the Barrier Reef. Is flying into Carins the best bet? I will likely start from Melbourne since I will be visiting Phillip Island on this trip as well.

Cairns is your best bet (pronounced 'Cans' for reference.) Most of the best diving, in my opinion, is North of Cairns on the outer reef. Port Douglas is about 45 minutes North of Cairns by bus, which is an excellent jump-off point. From there you can go to Lizard Island, Cod Hole, The Agincourt Reefs, all are stupifyingly awesome. The two boats I mentioned, Silversonic and Poseidon, go to the Agincourt system. The Agincourt system is further out than where most of the day-boats go, which lends itself to less traffic and superior visibility. Also during this time of year the weather is coming in from the North, which means the rarer and more beautiful dive sites become accessible.

The Barrier Reef is a great place to see, if you go to the locations I mentioned you're likely to see lots of smaller fish and animals. Not very common to see big sharks and rays, but plenty of nudibranch and reef fish...also some massive Queensland gropers and Maori Wrasse. If you're interested in large aquatic life, I'd recommend Julian Rocks (which is out of Byron Bay on the Gold Coast.) The Reef is so protected you see a lot less of the big pelagic animals, but it's absolutely stunning regardless.

Also regarding Melbourne, there is some good diving there, however the conditions are not as ideal as you'll find on the reef. The water is much cooler and generally has much more current, that being said there are more wrecks and some big pelagic fish to see. If you do go to Melbourne, definitely go for a dive.

How do you plan to get from Melbourne to Cairns? It's 3500km, about the distance from Monterey to Chicago. I assume you'd fly up.

If you're driving up there's a lot of dive sites on the way, and I know a few around Brisbane.

South West Rocks: heard good things, cave does under the island. Have yet to dive it.

Julian Rocks: dived it, in the winter. 9 grey nurse sharks. Otherwise it's fine, average rocky outcrop, lots of life. It's a beach launch after driving in trucks from the dive shop. Boats are RIBs. Fun dive, but not that comfortable, very open to the ocean, a lot of hand holding. I used Sun Dive. Byron is back packers central, if you like that scene...

Tweed Coast: Cook Island, and surrounding area. Several operators. In the winter they don't get the great nurse, but in the summer it seems just as good. I've dived with Palm Beach Dive Centre. He seems to take more experienced divers.

N strabroke: many good dives, you need to take a ferry over. I've used Manta Lodge.

Moreton Bay/Flinders: less exposed sites. Large >20m boats servicing the sites. I used SuperCat.

Mooloolabah: exHMAS Brisbane. Australian guided missile destroyer that was cut open and sunk as an artificial reef in 30m in 2005. I've used Sun Reef.

There are good dives down Melbourne way, and all the way around. www.diveoz.com.au - The Biggest Site for Australian Scuba Diving Info might be a good forum to ask for advice from.

How do you plan to get from Melbourne to Cairns? It's 3500km, about the distance from Monterey to Chicago. I assume you'd fly up.

Yes, my friend and I will be flying. My vacation time is our limit, her job is a bit more flexible.

Deuchler-
Extremely helpful post! Thank you. We will be avoiding the "large aquatic life" area you mentioned. My friend does not yet have her open water and is a bit afraid of sharks. I, for some unknown reason, am not.

Hi Superhawkgirl,
As an old Aussie instructor I would have to give our friend Deuchlar credit for some great tips.
A couple of other spots worth researching would be Sydneys Shelly beach,a really easy dive from the shore with loads of weedy sea dragons...amazing creatures.
Also Osprey reef which is an amazing place but needs a fed days on a liveaboard!!
As for the sharks,as a diver I am sure you and your friend(when she gets her ow)will be amazed and in awe when you see your first...they are magical creatures and so very important too.
Enjoy and have a cold beer for me when you get to Aus!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom