Going to Belize in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bholbertii:

Hol Chan Park has the Rays and Sharks. Shallow fun dive.
I was there May of 2000, so it was a while ago. We aslo enjoyed Eagle Ray Canyon and Buena Vista. If you're experienced you might like the Blue Hole. Most dive ops offer this from San Pedro as a 1/2 day trip.
Ramon's Village, Captain Morgan's has very good food.
Part of my group went into Belize City for the day and took a tour of the ruins. Have fun!

Natasha,
Thanks for the advice. We'll be sure to check out the food. We're set for diving the Blue Hole, I hear it's one of those dive's that's not that exciting, but one of a kind that you want to do at least once. We have U/W video gear so we're looking forward to a great week, weather permitting.
Thanks again
Bill

HI Bill:
I just realized the thread needed to be moved to Central America. Also, you do know you need a passport for this trip, and not just a birth certificate like several places in the Caribbean will allow. Right?

Natasha,
You're right, I should have posted this in the CA section. Anyway, Yes ... we knew about the passport requirement, but of course didn't file for it until the day after christmas, so we're in that "right at the last minute" groove. Sure hope the state dept gives us a break.

Be sure to dive

The , Wreck or Barge same site
Pillar Corals
Tackle Box
Hol Chan inside and a night dive there
Shark Ray Alley is coolif you can hit it inbetween the cruise ship boats
Cyprus gardens

Thats just a few

Also make sure you eat at Capricorn Restaurant which is excellent make sure you book as soon as you get there cause its small and fills up fast considered to be the best on the island by many.

You can also print out a Voucher that will get you a free appetizer when you eat at capricorn go to www.BelizeDiscounts.com and head to the restaurant and Bar section, its a new site and they are adding offers daily so check back before you leave.

When I go out for a meal its at Capricorn

Some other places to eat which are new are Blue Water grill located at the Sunbreeze, on sundays daytime check out BC's bar next to the Sunbreeze Sunday bar-B-que DELICIOUS

Also check out Jade garden which has huge EGGROLLS which are a favorite of mine also.

Have a great time

Gaz

P.S where you staying

I second Gaz's recommendation of a night dive at Hol Chan. My wife and I were married on AC in November 2002, and we did a lot of diving while we were there, including a couple at both Hol Chan and Cyprus Canyons.

The night dive at Hol Chan was amazing. We got to see parrot fish lying on their sides fast asleep, an octopus about the size of a basketball, stingrays buried in the sand, sea cucumbers "in action" :), and the highlight: a moray eel on the hunt, and acutally nabbing a fish -- very cool!

I also highly recommend Shark Ray Alley. It's a snorkelling trip in about eight feet of water. You can expect 5-10 large stingrays and nurse sharks around your boat at any given time, and there are always several boats in the area. Also, lots of fish -- big jacks especially.

One note about SRA -- be sure to remember what the guide tells you about making your hands into fists when the sharks swim up to you -- I've got a great set of scars on my thumb from an "incident"....but my wife thinks they make me look more manly, so you might want to get a set of your own... :D

Matt

PS: And Capricorn is truly amazing. Be sure to take the water taxi over when the full moon is out. You won't regret it!

Matt,
So you tried chumming with your own fingers. Pretty radical approach to get em in close. Hope you got some great pictures. I usually have my hands wrapped around the video housing so hopefully that won't be a problem. The last time I got to do a night dive was in the Caymans so your recommendation has peaked my interest. I think we'll give that one a try.
Thanks for the info.
Bill

Bannana Beach is a nice place about a mile and a half out of town you should be fine you will have to take a water taxi to Capricorn though.
Dont forget to get the FREE appetized voucher www.BelizeDiscounts.com
regards
Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom