Going to Cabo Need a good PADI shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down2times

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I m planning a trip to South Baja in July and have heard some great things about the Sea of Cortez. My buddys have Dove both La Paz and Cabo and enjoyed both.I was trying to get a feel of what some of you Divers thought about the two locations as far as marine life and what there is to do after Diving as I am bringing my wife and two friends that dont Dive.
I have only my 4 open water Dives and would like to stay above 60 feet.
Thanks in advance.

Well not a lot of responce here.But I did check the PADI web site and found several shops that I will be emailing. Would still like some feedback from Scuba Board members.If it helps any we are now thinking of going to Cabo because it looks like theres a lot more to do there.
Cheers.

Sorry, I haven't been to Baja. I don't know why you're not getting more replies? Regardless of whom you chose to dive with, it's up to you to protect yourself and buddy so follow your training closely and then some. You can forget about that 60 ft rule tho, as good as it sounds - mostly for Padi liability I think, as real world diving often takes everyone below it. I hope you have a computer and have studied it well, preferably one with Simulation dives that you can run - and so so. Keep your ascents slow, your SSs long, and final ascents even slower.

Have you ever traveled in Mexico? They put up with us Americans well in tourist areas and even cater to us well, but it is different. It'd be good to study the US State Department page on the country, accept that some of the warnings there may be exaggerated, but other risks are not included, and make the most of the info offered. Does your medical insurance cover your family out of country? I take travel insurance when I leave the US in part because of that risk.

I hope you are a member of DAN and are covered by their dive insurance. If you got the cheapest plan tho, it's a dog - so call to upgrade. The middle plan is only $10/year higher but much better coverage, and - many of us keep the top plan. Now, it would be good to include your entire family on the Family Membership even if not for dive insurance as that would provide them all with TravelerAssist coverage in case of needed medical evacuation to the US. Another cheap upgrade you can call in.

Have a great trip. :pilot:

Ive been there a couple of time. The diving was OK but nothing spectacular.

After seeing the posts by the alleged dive "professionals" from Cabo that have been attacking each other here and making some pretty wild accusations I think I'd stay away from the area- if they're willing to act unprofessionally here where the entire community can see it I'd expect that same attitude to carry over into their dive operations.

Right now I just don't think it's worth the risks involved to travel and dive there.

You live in LA, you've got some of the best diving in the world just off the coast. Why take the risk of traveling to Mexico for diving thats not as good?

Diving in the Sea of Cortez can be spectacular. And, the Cabo area is just as safe as the LA area, and probably safer. If you don't like Cabo, come to San Carlos and I'll show you some great diving.

Hola!

I would recommend you to visit Cabo Pulmo which is between Cabo San Lucas and La Paz, on the Sea of Cortez. We have some beautiful dives to show you here in Cabo Pulmo in a very well preserved marine reserve. However, the village doesn't have the infrastructure you will find in Cabo San Lucas (Thank God!), especially for your non diving family. It's a remote village, with very nice beaches to spend the day if you are not diving. We run on solar so no A/C. But the accomodation are very pleasant and comfortable. Just a laid back place, totally opposite of Cabo San Lucas....

We have dive sites for all level of divers.

I run dive trips for small group of divers in Cabo Pulmo, have a look at my webpage, you will have a better idea of the place I am talking about:

Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

That said, if you prefer to spend your vacation in a bigger type of town, with resorts, I would totally recommend La Paz over Cabo San Lucas. The diving is great, the town is welcoming and there are some nice beaches close to town for your family to enjoy. Day trips to Todos Santos cultural village and surf beaches is very easy to organize.

Espiritu Island next to La Paz is a spectacular place to be with your family, even non divers can enjoy spending a day there, some of the most beautiful beaches and coves in Baja California are found on the island and you will have a chance to dive the sea lion colony, really a great experience for a new diver....

Hope this information helps

Thierry

Baja California (South): Cabo San Lucas and La Paz are major cities/travel destinations in the state of SouthernBaja California -see map to identify its exact location: No advisory is in effect.
Peter Velasco, a State Department press officer, tells USA TODAY that the warning was updated because of the department's "no double standard policy," meaning that citizens should get the same updated travel info given government employees. "Obviously, Mexico is a big country," he adds, and "we're trying to make the information as accurate and balanced" and updated as possible.
The state-by-state summary opens with a calming statement that "millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) have targeted U.S. visitors and residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes."

Hello,
I haven't been diving in Cabo San Lucas for many yrs, But... I am in the Cabo Pulmo area frequently. July will be HOT. If possible you should go to Cabo Pulmo. The diving is easy, 5-15 minutes away, on pangas w/shade covers. There's lots and lots of sealife. Not much for brightly colored coral. Outside of Asia, I think the sea of cortez has some of the greatest chances of seeing the big and the small. Tropicals, sharks, mantas, rays, eels, lobsters, sometimes seahorses and octopus. Schools of jacks you can swim through. Giant groupers. You just never know what you might see. I love diving with Pilu. The website is www.cabopulmodiving.com . I have heard good things about Thierry above, I have never been diving with him, but it is a small area and he is spoken of highly.
Regarding La Paz. Thierry is right, Espiritu Island would be a nice place for your family. The sea lions are a blast. I have been diving with the Cantamar for many yrs. I wish there was some other company options in la Paz, we have been out with all of them except Fun Baja. The cantamar markets to the Europeans and dive groups/clubs. So you may be on a boat with 20 other divers, (not fun) all from one diveclub. Not always a good thing. The reason I still dive with them is when they have had large groups they have put us on our own boat with only a couple of other divers, nice, but we get whatever equipement/wts or whatever the other boats are not using. Have had to wait for additional tanks to be filled. etc. and only get to go to closer sites due to the late departure, which we never know about in advance. Many of the La Paz dives are far so a fast or large boat is nice, you are gone most of the day. They can be exposed, open water, be accountable to yourself and your skills so you don't have to rely on others. I have to say, regarding safety, I feel the operations in La Paz I have been with feel "kinda safe" it depends on the crew. All that said, I have had some spectacular dives in La Paz, lots of life. Someone on this forum recommended FunBaja. I might check them out in the future, If anyone has experience with them, I would love to hear. La Paz is a pleasant Mexican city. It is not overly developed for tourist like cabo. It is a 3+ hr drive from Cabo. Nice drive though. Have fun, hopefully this longwinded post of mine helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom