Going to hot tub or jacuzzi after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questionable. there is some evidence that indicates it could be a contributor to DCS, however this has not been definatively proven in studies (that I have heard of). There are some divers who will tell you they take a hot shower after every dive and have never had a DCS hit.

I guess it's just a matter of how conservative you want to be.

well... there's not a lot of evidence, but some people say to avoid hot showers, hot tubs, etc...

there's a a report by I.B. Mekjavic and N. Kakitsuba from Simon Frazer University, Barnaby, B.C., Canada, and published in the Undersea Biomedical Research, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1989, that indicates that the use of hot shower facilities by subjects in a related study caused mild symptoms of decompression sickness.

i am not sure if there's any other evidence out there.

I know DAN reccomends against it, but I wasn't able to locate the article or page. From memory (so treat this for exactly what it's worth, nothing) I don't think there have been any actual studies done in regards to jacuzzi's and their affect on DCS. I do seem to recall that there have been some instances where they believe some mild DCS symptoms were triggered by taking hot showers. Once again this is all from memory so treat it for exactly what it is worth, nothing.

EDIT: Looks like H2Andy beat me to it and actually has some evidence to back up my memory.

The Aquarius habitat was originally planned to go in at Catalina (and was to be named the George Bond). At one stage of the design process a hot tub was to be included on the "porch" as a diver rewarming unit. As I recall, it was scratched because of decompression concerns.

Yes, it should be avoided. Submerging in a hot tub or even taking a hot shower after diving can increase the risk of DCS.

If those are the only dives of your trip and they are fairly shallow dives, the risk probably wouldn't be that great. However, if you've been diving a few days and most of your dives have been on the deeper side, the risk does significantly increase. I take warm showers after diving, but I avoid hot tubs, etc.

How the H can a hottub contribute to DSC Unless the hottub in question is on a airborne plane / the top of a mountain (while you dived at sealevel).

Is a nookie allowed after diving....
I mean there is a club here in Ireland called Muff...and yes they have a diveclub....
They would be at serious risk then, not?

I'll be going on a W. Carribean cruise. At the ports of G. Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya, I'll be going for 2-tank boat dives. So they'll mostly be one tank deep then one tank shallow.

It'll be at least a couple of hours after the diving that we'll get back to the ship. In a previous cruise (where I only did diving in Kona), my wife and I enjoyed going to the hot tub every later afternoon or evening.

So just curious if it's just not advisable to go to hot tub immediately, or would it be any day where there's diving?

Thanks a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom