Going to hot tub or jacuzzi after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no expert, but my thought would be to consult the RDP and see what pressure group you are in and what your RNT is. If it is high, no hot tub. If it is low, I would not worry.

Hi Torontonian,

According to DAN, the physiological relationship between hot showers and
DCS is complex. The theoretical supposition is that peripheral blood vessels are
occluded by the gas phase and that the temperature increase causes vascular
dilation and changes the inert gas solubility of the tissues. Of course, DAN
cautions, in the case of divers who go to the resort, take a hot shower, and then
get symptoms, it’s hard to say that the hot shower was at fault or that it wouldn’t
have happened anyway. But if a diver called and asked whether to take a hot
shower after a dive, DAN says they’d recommend against it.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I didn't know about any possible DCS factore before. The most dives I've done in one day was last year Aug. 23 when I was doing my PADI AOW in Oahu. I did a 2-tank dive (1 deep, 100') in the morning, and then 2-tank (1 deep) sunset/night dive. At least 1 or maybe both at night were 32% nitrox. I went back to my hotel and took a hot shower before going to bed. It may have only been an hour since the last dive that night. I didn't get sick. The next day I did a two-tank afternoon dive. I showered that evening. Did not get sick.

Another day after a 2-tank dive in Kona (both to about 70-80' deep), went back and took a hot shower. Did not feel ill. So at least for me, there hasn't been a problem taking a hot shower >1hr after diving.

It was a few months ago I saw someone mention not to go to a hot tub after diving. So I'm curious to find out the reasoning.

Hi Torontonian,

Yes, that's the reason behind the precaution, but it's largely theoretical. The truth is many, many divers take a hot/warm shower shortly after a dive and a number of the Peter Hughes' Dancer fleet actually have hot tubs on them, as do some others I've dived from. I've seen fair number of divers take hot showers and use hot tubs regularly while doing heavy liveaboard diving and have yet to see a case of DCS attributable to the practice.

Still, there is some slightly suggestive evidence and the reasoning is sensible, so it would seem prudent not to rush into hot water just after a dive.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I know DAN reccomends against it, but I wasn't able to locate the article or page. From memory (so treat this for exactly what it's worth, nothing) I don't think there have been any actual studies done in regards to jacuzzi's and their affect on DCS. I do seem to recall that there have been some instances where they believe some mild DCS symptoms were triggered by taking hot showers. Once again this is all from memory so treat it for exactly what it is worth, nothing.

EDIT: Looks like H2Andy beat me to it and actually has some evidence to back up my memory.
I never understood why so many live aboards have hot tubs 🤷🏽

Nah.

Nevermind.

I've been hearing that some Florida water temps are currently as high as 95F to 97F..........and typical hot tub temps are 100 to 102F.... I can't imagine that a few degrees would make a difference....

I'm no physiologist......but wondering if the current higher ocean temps in FL on actual dives would also contribute to any higher risk for DCS..

I've been hearing that some Florida water temps are currently as high as 95F to 97F..........and typical hot tub temps are 100 to 102F.... I can't imagine that a few degrees would make a difference....

I'm no physiologist......but wondering if the current higher ocean temps in FL on actual dives would also contribute to any higher risk for DCS..
No, because you aren't changing anything. Coming from 97F water to 102F water isn't the issue.
The thought is warming from a 50F dive in a 102F tub will stimulate the outer layer of blood vessels and contribute to skin bends.
Is it true? I have no idea, but the gradient is the concern.

No, because you aren't changing anything. Coming from 97F water to 102F water isn't the issue.
The thought it warming from a 50F dive in a 102F tub will stimulate the outer layer of blood vessels and contribute to skin bends.
My NAUI instructor at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution collapsed from Type II DCS during a hot shower after diving in the Cape Cod water.
you may also note that many of those liveaboard hot tubs have been shuttered.

The thought it warming from a 50F dive in a 102F tub will stimulate the outer layer of blood vessels and contribute to skin bends.
You should get a hot tub!
Not only would you have the only elevator in the Great Lakes and this side of the Mississippi, but you’d be the only one to have an elevator and an hotub, Opie would be so jealous…

Here’s what Dan has to say, which im
Sure this article was published
After this thread was started, probably the reason they started it.

Back
Top Bottom