Going to MAUI Which Dive operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui Diamond will never live that down. I was shocked they actually left them out there. Pretty bad show.

For shore diving most of the south end is going to be blown out by the summer swell during your visit. So trips to Lanai at the cathedrals will suck. I suggest going down to Kihei for boat trips and doing molokini. The swell doesn't bother that location.

For shore dives you must do Honolua. It's fairly well protected from the south swell and the waves will be way down.

On the other side of the island you can do Maliko but it's a long surface swim and a fairly advanced dive as it drops right off into deep water once you exit the bay. Keep an eye on your compass and note where you've exited the bay. It's easy to miss the entrance back into the bay, if you miss it you'll swim forever.

I repeat myself but if I were going to Molokini I'd use B & B Scuba out of Kihei. We did 9 boat dives with them on our last trip and each was great. They have a 38 foot boat and only take 10 divers. More dive leaders per diver than any other boat. If they know you (as they do us) they will allow us to do our own thing. But you really want them leading you as they'll work hard to get the best locations and sealife.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
Maui Diamond will never live that down. I was shocked they actually left them out there. Pretty bad show..
On my visit to Maui in April I tried to get some more details, in particular what surface signalling gear the 2 instructors had, but nobody on the boats I used knew.

I used Maui Diamond II just one time, about 3 years ago. OK, but the divemaster acted like he was trying to come in first in an underwater race; and we basically dove the same site in the center of the crater twice.

ProDiver called his customers and canceled out the night before Maui Diamond II misplaced their divers.

Ed Robinson went way around to the not often visited south side of W. Maui in order to find some relatively sheltered water.

Extended Horizons took their group over to Lanai that morning. The weather deteriorated much worse and much faster than predicted. The owner/operator decided not to put anybody into the water, pulled into the Manele Bay harbor on Lanai and not only refunded everyone's charter fee but also bought everyone a ticket on the ferry back so they wouldn't have to endure a rotten ride back. Class act.

They sound like a good outfit. I have dove with several shops over there and so far B & B has been my favorite but I haven't dove with Extended Horizons.

On every dive I always bring my little inflatable orange weenie. It's a great tool for signaling and for hanging off of for a safety stop. A couple of captains have told me that they spot them more than any other device. Hard to miss. Usually the boat will show up a couple of minutes before I'm done with my stop.

I've heard some storys about what happened but it's speculation so why post it here. I just would avoid Maui Diamond myself.

Marisa:
I wanna go! I wanna go! We've deved Maui about eight times. Our favorite operators are Ed Robinson's for Maui and Extended Horizons for Lanai.

On Maui, Molikini is awesome. We prefer the Reef's End dive there. The back wall is a cool dive also. Then ask about Red Hill. And don't forget that Maui is probably rated as one of the the best shore dive destinations. We always use Maui Dive Shop for our shore diving needs. Great places to shore dive are Honolua Bay, Makuleia Bay, Black Rock (good night dive), Five Graves,/Turtle Town, Red Hill, Ahihi Bay and LaPeruse Bay. You see Red Hill both on my boat and shore dive list. That's where two currents come together and bring all sorts of yummies for the sealife to munch, so there's usually lots to see. Maui is great for turtles and eels - and just plain abundant tropical fish.

Extended Horizons leaves from Mala Wharf in Lahaina for Lanai, so the crossing's a bit shorter than from Kihei. Everyone likes the Cathederals, but so far we've never had a bad dive with those guys wherever we end up. Last time we ended up diving the collapsed part of Mala Wharf - and even that was kewl - great frogfish!

Aloha!
Eric. :)

I was just in LAHINA from July 16-22nd 2003. Ed Robinson was booked, they recommended "Maui Mermaid" 1-808-264-2445 as a back up. Theresa Young is the Owner and DM. She has been with various Maui Dive shops for over 15 years and finally opened up her own. Curteous, friendly, sincere and great prices, great equipment rental and punctual. She is PADI certified and does referral dive and all the way to special area requests. She caters specially to Woman divers. We dove near Airport beach, just north of Kaanapoli, saw everything from Rays, Turtle, to over 20 difference variety of fishes. We also had our underwater pictures taken professionally with Turtle by her, its well worth it. If you have timid divers in your group, she really adds a friendly touch to the whole experience.

I also booked with Mike Severence / Molokini Dive for $125 per person. Prepare for a dissapointment. They pump you up with all kinds for Biological information with Pauline. You may not see much, Molokini, looks pretty baron to me. One white tip and one Wrasse and thats pretty much it. Becareful with equipment rental here, they have some old BCs. Best to bring your own.

Kapalua shore dive could be the best keep secrete. It has Daulphine, Turtles, Jacks, Angel fish and many other varieties. You will not be disappointed.

dspbob once bubbled...
You may not see much, Molokini, looks pretty baron to me.
I guess it depends on when you're there. About three weeks ago with Ed Robinson we dropeed into Shark Condo and got to watch about 20 reef sharks for 10 or so minutes (time limited by depth).

A couple days later on a twilight dive watched two large Manta Rays (~10' wingspan, yhea I know they get much bigger) for about 20 minutes in Molokini's bowl (they were being cleaned).

As for the reef inside the bowl itself, yhea, it's really, really beat up.

Roak

My wife and I were out there on our honeymoon and did four dives with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures. The staff out there is fantastic (try to get with Byrd - he rocks).

As far as Molokini being barren, I'd have to disagree - although the inside of the crater definitely has a different composition and therefore a different look and feel than the outside wall, there is still a lot to see out there - just take your time, go slow, and watch for the little things. We tended to get away from the group quite a bit, and we saw a lot of things that the group missed because they were motoring along (particularly macro stuff).

~W

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dspbob once bubbled...
You may not see much, Molokini, looks pretty barren to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Roakey:

You are right, we were near the left side the inner bowl. As it was explained to me that this was also a artilery site for the NAVY back in WWII. We went all the way down to 110 feet, but given that this was my first deep water dive, I will try the outter wall next time and keep an eye open toward the Blue water next time.

Bob

I used B&B Scuba when we went to Maui in July. I was extremely impressed by their service. They really have a classy operation. They leave very early which is nice because you avoid th larg crowds which distrurbs the wild life. We dove the shark condos and saw plenty of reef sharks and then wnt to martys reef where we saw an octopus. I highly recommend them.

agstreet once bubbled...
Ed Robinson and Mike Severns diving are two top notch operations.

http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm
http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

Definitely recommend Ed Robinson; they were my first call when I realized I could make a 4 day weekend out of Labor Day (fly Friday, dive Sat and Sun, return Monday.)

Haven't dived with Severns, but have been on their boat and talked to their people at the dock (Kihei boat ramp, where Robinson's puts in as well); all seemed consistent with the usual good reviews people give them.

Unfortunately, these reccomendations may not do you much good -- Lahaina is at the other corner of the island, and it's a ways from Lahaina to Kihei. Though Lahaina is pretty, and offers similar access to central Maui (hiking etc.), have always stayed in South Maui (Kihei/Wailea) to be closer to Kihei-based diving.

STRONG recommendation for the book "Maui Revealed" -- good, unbiased, bunt, informative, and humorous one end to the other. Don't leave home without it.

Other quick silly Maui hints: there's a Costco right next to the airport. If you're a member, stop off and buy staples (snacks, bottled water, etc.)

--Laird

Oh yeah -- Important Safety Tip: http://www.mauiscuba.com/divefly.htm

Back
Top Bottom