Going to Orlando- Plan to go diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justagirl992

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to go to Orlando with my family this summer. I don't have a buddy so I guess I'll have to be paired up or dive with the dive master. I became certified last year in Aruba. My dad took the class and couldn't clear his mask, so he just gave up. Anyway, I know I'm probably not going to see the things I saw in Aruba but I'm looking for a place that is close to Orlando. I was reading about SeaDog Divers. Can you tell me anything about them? Your Experience or what you've heard? Any other places that are within an hour or 1 1/2 hrs? How is the visability? I have a full wetsuit so being in FL I'm wondering if I'll be too hot. Since it'll be a year since I've going under, I may need to be reminded on some things. Thanks, look forward to responses. I'm so excited about going diving again:)

Easy, take Florida's Turnpike south to Ft Lauderdale or Key Largo. :D

But budget plenty of time, today it took me 7 hours (Friday rush hour and all) from I-4 and the Turnpike to MM 100. But that's OK, I'm here! :D

If you are going to do the dive quest at Epcot, its more than just a 40 minute aquarium dive, its also a behind the scenes tour. It doesn't require an Epcot ticket for the tour, so if you go to the early tour they'll let you walk around Epcot for free afterwards. When you register, either ask for a resort guest discount if you staying on property, or the PADI discount or NAUI. Here is a link to a NAUI coupon: http://www.naui.org/pdffiles/dive quest c.pdf

The other option is Blue Springs state park, but they close it to divers when the manatees are around so that can be a crapshoot this time of year, and its IMO less interesting other times of year when the manatees have gone. Of course, its about a 10 minute drive from some friends and relatives which makes it nice for me. Assuming, of course, you are into that type of dive.

rotorboy:
Really? For $140 it's worth it??? Wow. You can do 2 - 2 tank boat trips for that price, that's 4 dives, in the ocean... on a real reef.

Honestly... I would say make the 2.5 hour drive South to Boynton Beach, which has some of the best reefs and quantity of sea life in the state.

Fort Lauderdale is about 3.25 hours from Orlando, and Key Largo is probably about 5 hours. But Having dived in all of those places, I would recommened Boynton. It's awesome. I drive up there from Ft Lauderdale all the time.

Hmm, I'm not sure that I would want to spend that money just for 40 minutes in an aquarium. I'm a volunteer here at the Georgia Aquarium. I'm going to be part of the dive program there so I'll get my share of diving in an aquarium. Also, my parents are planning to go to the beach, somewhere close, for a day (which is why I decided I'm going diving) and I don't think they want to drive too far out. I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post. I'm going to call the Orlando dive shop and see what they recommend. Thanks.

Lol…..I never said it was worth it….just neat. I thought that you might be on a time crunch with a limited amount of time on your trip. You could have killed two birds with one stone. Visit one theme park and later do a dive on the same day since you were the only one diving. Other that that I'd take a trip down south. Beaches are way better down there! Have fun!

http://www.castawayscuba.com/
Local dive shop. They plan trips down south from Orlando and the staff is awesome!

If you want to dive near orlando... might wanna look up cndivers (cndivers.com). Ive used them and was really happy with everything they did. I dont know how often they dive though. Talk to Chad... he is a really good guy and will work with you I would think.

Hello-

If you are coming to the central Florida area...one place I DO NOT recommend going to book/buy anything is Scuba Diversions in Longwood. I went there a couple of weeks ago and got nothing but attitude from Kevin...the owner! He is HORRIBLE! He not only needs to take a customer service course, but a public relations course. He was rude, had the "I know it all attitude" and basically talked down to me, and the rest of his customers. I will NEVER step foot in his place or EVER refer anyone to go there again!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom