Going to Puerto Rico on 3/2/04.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ahoy there fellow salts ! Going back to the roots for 10 days with my lady. :bounce: I have dived the west coast of Puerto Rico but never the east. Any recomendations. All are welcomed and appreciated. Good Viz, George

George,

If you want to stay in the east coast, your best bet is going to Vieques or Culebra. The ferries run form Fajardo on a daily basis. The east coast is not very good for diving. Other option is going to Isabela. The have very nice walls and caverns in that area. I don't know when was the last time you were there, but there is a new express way that takes you from San Juan to Isabela in no time.

Have a wonderful time!! Have a pina colada and a few "surrullitos" for me. :cheers:

George Correa:
Ahoy there fellow salts ! Going back to the roots for 10 days with my lady. :bounce: I have dived the west coast of Puerto Rico but never the east. Any recomendations. All are welcomed and appreciated. Good Viz, George

Seawitch2:
George,

If you want to stay in the east coast, your best bet is going to Vieques or Culebra. The ferries run form Fajardo on a daily basis. The east coast is not very good for diving. Other option is going to Isabela. The have very nice walls and caverns in that area. I don't know when was the last time you were there, but there is a new express way that takes you from San Juan to Isabela in no time.

Have a wonderful time!! Have a pina colada and a few "surrullitos" for me. :cheers:
Hey witch ! Gracias for replying. I was there in 98 and the new expressway was already built. I will take your advise and check out Isabela, but for sure Vieques or Culebra. Big animals on that side I hear. Thanx again. I will have a cold Presidente and a few surrullitos on your behalf. ;-) Good Viz, George

Presidente? Man, drink the local stuff - Medalla! :) I concur with SW, Culebra is really nice. I haven't been to Vieques yet, but I did enjoy Culebra over Fajardo. I'm going to P.R. in May with a group that I put together, and I've managed to get a 3 day camping/diving trip to Mona as part of the itinerary - WOOHOO! I can't wait. The next 7 weeks are going to drive me crazy. Have a great trip and let us know how the Mofongo and Tostones are :)

-Frank

You guys, are making so hungry!!! Mofongo con camarones,MMMMMM. Ditto on the Medalla.

Frank, when in May are going to PR?. I camped in Mona years ago, and it was wonderful!! That was before I was certified, but the snorkeling was spectacular.

scuba-punk:
Presidente? Man, drink the local stuff - Medalla! :) I concur with SW, Culebra is really nice. I haven't been to Vieques yet, but I did enjoy Culebra over Fajardo. I'm going to P.R. in May with a group that I put together, and I've managed to get a 3 day camping/diving trip to Mona as part of the itinerary - WOOHOO! I can't wait. The next 7 weeks are going to drive me crazy. Have a great trip and let us know how the Mofongo and Tostones are :)

-Frank

scuba-punk:

-Frank
Balla Frank ! Que pasa ? I would drink Medalla but I can't get past that taste. :-( ! I will have to checkout one of those 2 east coast islands. Probably Culebras. Are there big animals there ? I will be leaving on April 2nd, I think I made a mistake on the first post regarding the subject, so I have time to do some research and make some calls. The west coast, I will be definetly diving. I dove there in 98, I liked it. Desecheo and La Parguera were pretty cool. La Parguera is kind of rough seas, lot of cross currents, but I can handle it. Like yourself, I would like to dive La Mona, it's supposed to be really cool. I booked my airfare today and now I have butterflys in my stomach. It's going to be rough until I leave. I will have a hard time sleeping now. I will report back after I return and tell you how it went. I'll have a Mofongo and some alcapurrias in your name. :cheers: Salud ! ahhhhhhh :wink: Te veo bro ! Good Viz, George. P.S. If ever in Chicago, Look me up, We'll dive Lake Michigan.

Seawitch2:
You guys, are making so hungry!!! Mofongo con camarones,MMMMMM. Ditto on the Medalla.

Frank, when in May are going to PR?. I camped in Mona years ago, and it was wonderful!! That was before I was certified, but the snorkeling was spectacular.

Hey witch, can you camp and scuba dive from La Mona island ? If so, that might be an option for us. Do they supply sleepping bags and tents. Give me the scoop :bounce: :bounce:

James Goddard:
OMG...Medalla ranks number two on my list of worst beers of all time...

James

You got that right ! :clapping: I not one of those people that just because it's produced in the country, I'm going to drink it. It taste terrible and that's the bottom line. :yuck: People there drink it for that reason-Consume what your motherland produces. Well if the motherland produced something good, beilive me, I would consume it. Just like Barcardi, that is the worse Rum I have ever tasted. The locals don't even drink it...and it's produced in Puerto Rico. Good divin & good viz, George

George Correa:
Hey witch, can you camp and scuba dive from La Mona island ? If so, that might be an option for us. Do they supply sleepping bags and tents. Give me the scoop :bounce: :bounce:

Hey, George,

You need a permit to camp in La Mona. I believe the permit is issued by the Department of Natural Resources, and it must be obtained in advance. They do not supply sleeping bags/tents. It's a bring a your own, rough camping site. Last time I was there, we had to bring everything - tents, food, supplies, etc. They did not have stores or supplies shop. Not to mention a dive shop. It is true rough camping. The only habitants on the island, besides the goats, were a couple of park rangers. It has been a long time since I've been there. But to my knowledge, since La Mona is a protected area, they have not changed much. If you don't mind the lack of amenities, is an amazing place. Talk about natural and uncorrupted beauty. That was a memorable experience.

Hope this helps!!!

Seawitch2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom