Going to Puerto Rico on 3/2/04.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with you George, Medalla isn't the best asting beer around, but I'll drink almost anything (well, beer anyway). In most places around the island, the other big beerchoice seems to be Bud Light, and I definitely can't drink that stuff :) Speaking of good local brews though, Banks beer in Barbados is good stuff. And yes, I do like Presidente.

And I ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY agree with you about Bacardi Rum. Yuck-o. Give me some Barrilitos or Palo Seco any day over that crap! What is the deal with all of the Lemon, Vanilla, Citrus garbage? My abuelito taught me that if you can't drink the rum - straight, no ice - and enjoy it, that it isn't any good.

We set up our Mona charter with Oceans-Unlimited. They are providing the tents, sleeing bags, camping permits, food, drinks, tanks, weights, transportation - well, pretty much everything short of alcogolic beverages. The need at least 8 people on the charter to make the trip. They also offer 2 and 3 tank dives to Desecheo. I'll have to let you know how it turns out, but I've read some nice things about them on Scuba Board.

As far as big animals on the east coast, I've seen nice sized nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays and lobsters with bodies as big-around softballs (the lobsters, not the rays - they were much bigger)!

Thanks for the invite to dive Lake Michigan. I love diving the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence, but haven't made it that far west yet. If you see a Yellow Xterra sporting a 'Bandera' from the rear-view and a Diver Down flag plate on the front - it'll be me...

-Frank

scuba-punk:
I have to agree with you George, Medalla isn't the best asting beer around, but I'll drink almost anything (well, beer anyway). In most places around the island, the other big beerchoice seems to be Bud Light, and I definitely can't drink that stuff :) Speaking of good local brews though, Banks beer in Barbados is good stuff. And yes, I do like Presidente.

And I ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY agree with you about Bacardi Rum. Yuck-o. Give me some Barrilitos or Palo Seco any day over that crap! What is the deal with all of the Lemon, Vanilla, Citrus garbage? My abuelito taught me that if you can't drink the rum - straight, no ice - and enjoy it, that it isn't any good.

We set up our Mona charter with Oceans-Unlimited. They are providing the tents, sleeing bags, camping permits, food, drinks, tanks, weights, transportation - well, pretty much everything short of alcogolic beverages. The need at least 8 people on the charter to make the trip. They also offer 2 and 3 tank dives to Desecheo. I'll have to let you know how it turns out, but I've read some nice things about them on Scuba Board.

As far as big animals on the east coast, I've seen nice sized nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays and lobsters with bodies as big-around softballs (the lobsters, not the rays - they were much bigger)!

Thanks for the invite to dive Lake Michigan. I love diving the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence, but haven't made it that far west yet. If you see a Yellow Xterra sporting a 'Bandera' from the rear-view and a Diver Down flag plate on the front - it'll be me...

-Frank

Yea, I e-mailed Lisa from Oceans Unlimited. I like the 3 day dive package myself. 2 tanks a day to Desecheo. However I like the other pacakge even more, it's 3 tanks to Mona on the first day and the other 2 days, 2 tanks to Desecheo. I am going with the latter. My girlfriend hasn't decided yet which package. She better hurry up and make up her mind. She'll be watching me wave Adios ! Adios ! from the boat. :evil_4:
I have to agree w/ your abuelo, Barrilito, Palo Viejo, straight up, no chaser !

You know I also saw on Oceans-Unlimited's website the pictures from the campsite at Mona. That has to be awesome ! If I would have known about this before, I would have booked that and stayed there opposed to my dad's place in Anasco, that's just a skip from Rincon. We are staying at my girlfreind's mom's house for the first few days and then staying @ my dad's for the rest of the vacation. I think we are only going to dive the west coast after all. The first part of our vacation is going to be siteseeing, going to El Yunque, Old San Juan etc, etc. Anyway, talk to you later compay. Good Viz, George. P.S. Let me know how your camping trip went. I will be leaving on the 2nd of April and returning on the 11th. I will let you know how it went for us. Saborsito !

Seawitch2:
Hey, George,

You need a permit to camp in La Mona. I believe the permit is issued by the Department of Natural Resources, and it must be obtained in advance. They do not supply sleeping bags/tents. It's a bring a your own, rough camping site. Last time I was there, we had to bring everything - tents, food, supplies, etc. They did not have stores or supplies shop. Not to mention a dive shop. It is true rough camping. The only habitants on the island, besides the goats, were a couple of park rangers. It has been a long time since I've been there. But to my knowledge, since La Mona is a protected area, they have not changed much. If you don't mind the lack of amenities, is an amazing place. Talk about natural and uncorrupted beauty. That was a memorable experience.

Hope this helps!!!

Seawitch2

Yo witch, I was telling Scuba-punk that the dive operation that I am going to dive with supplys the gear for camping. Just FYI., O.K. ? :rose: I discovered this today. :wink: Later. Good Viz, George

George Correa:
Yo witch, I was telling Scuba-punk that the dive operation that I am going to dive with supplys the gear for camping. Just FYI., O.K. ? :rose: I discovered this today. :wink: Later. Good Viz, George

Hey G.,

Thanks for the information!! That's good to know. I may go to PR in May and you just opened anothe diving option. :bounce: Would you PM the name of the operation your using? Gracias!!!

Seawitch2:
Hey G.,

Thanks for the information!! That's good to know. I may go to PR in May and you just opened anothe diving option. :bounce: Would you PM the name of the operation your using? Gracias!!!

http://Oceans-Unlimited.com/. Go for it witch ! It's got to be a great way to go. ! I 'll tell you how they are when I get back on the 11th of April. CIAO ! & Good Viz, George

SW, I'm going to be there May 15-22, diving Mona May 18-20. We have 7 of the 8 minimum slots filled, so they (Oceans Unlimited) are going to open the charter to fill the rest of the slots (i think they max out at 12 people). If that's where you are going to be there, come along!

-Frank

scuba-punk:
Presidente? Man, drink the local stuff - Medalla! :) I concur with SW, Culebra is really nice. I haven't been to Vieques yet, but I did enjoy Culebra over Fajardo. I'm going to P.R. in May with a group that I put together, and I've managed to get a 3 day camping/diving trip to Mona as part of the itinerary - WOOHOO! I can't wait. The next 7 weeks are going to drive me crazy. Have a great trip and let us know how the Mofongo and Tostones are :)

-Frank

Yo Punk, My lady found out that there is some pretty good diving in Culebra. I need you to tell me what dive operation you dove with and what kind of diving I can expect. What are the main attractions underwater there ? Any big animals ? Let me know as soon as you can. My lady was at a banquet from work tonight and she got some pretty good info regarding Culebra. She came back pumped up about it. :jump013: :bogey: Tell me about the prices too. You can call me too if you want, 773-262-5862. What ever you do, get back to me please. Thanx, Good Diving & Good Viz

I can't even remember prices, it's been a while. If I remember correctly, there was only one dive shop Culebra Divers (www.culebradivers.com).

Google Searching...

It looks like their price is $85 for a 2-tanker. Some of the shops in Fajardo will take you out, but most of them start at $100 a day for 'local' reefs and the Culebra Trips are more expensive. As far as animals go, big Spotted Eagle Rays and Atlantic Spadefish. Fish and coral health were the big pluses for me! Even snorkeling at Flamenco Beach was very cool. Lots of small coral heads that are loaded with fish. We even saw a turtle while snorkeling at the beach.

-Frank

scuba-punk:
I can't even remember prices, it's been a while. If I remember correctly, there was only one dive shop Culebra Divers (www.culebradivers.com).

Google Searching...

It looks like their price is $85 for a 2-tanker. Some of the shops in Fajardo will take you out, but most of them start at $100 a day for 'local' reefs and the Culebra Trips are more expensive. As far as animals go, big Spotted Eagle Rays and Atlantic Spadefish. Fish and coral health were the big pluses for me! Even snorkeling at Flamenco Beach was very cool. Lots of small coral heads that are loaded with fish. We even saw a turtle while snorkeling at the beach.

-Frank

Hey Yo !, What's up ? Thanx for that info. I found a website that is called Culebra.org. Very informative. I also found the website to Culebra Divers. Not bad prices, considering. Like you stated in your response to me, $85.00 a day for a 2 tank boat trip. We're going for it. Now it looks like we are going to dive more than we anticipated. Great ! :jump013: I'm glad that my lady thought of it. Now we can do a day of diving there, or 2. Then go west and dive Mona & Desecheo. Thanx again for the quick response and info. Bro. I'll have a shot & beer in your name. :cheers: Good Divin & Good Viz, George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom