Golem Gear vs. Dive Rite Package - Need Help Deciding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chilkie

Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm finally buying a BP/W setup and I'm having a horrible time deciding between the ScubaToys Dive Rite package w/ the Oxycheq wing and the Golemgear package. As a BP/W newbie and someone who will be learning to dive doubles in the fairly near future I could really use some guidance from you knowledgeable folks.

Here's the Golem link:

Golem 35 Lbs SS Combo

Here's the ST link:

BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

I believe that I will have to add two sex bolts to the ST package which would bring the total to around $370 shipped from ST (with the forum discount and a $10 off coupon). This includes the 30 Lb. Oxycheq Mach V wing.

I would have to add a crotch strap and shipping to the GG package. I figure that would bring the total to around $405 out the door.

There is one more thing to factor into this equation as well. I just picked up a second tank so I can dive double AL80's (which is the real genesis of my desire to purchase a BP/W system). Therefore I will need a doubles wing at some point in the near future. For the same price as their other package I can pick up Golem's 55 doubles wing in a package. Here's the link:

Golem 55 Lbs. SS Combo

Is 55Lb. too much lift for diving double AL80's?

I believe that you can "upgrade" the ST package to the 40 lb. Oxycheq wing at no additional charge. Will this wing handle doubles (my guess is "no")? Therefore, since doubles wings are typically more expensive than singles wings should I go ahead and get the Golem Gear doubles package instead of the singles package and then pick up a singles wing which can be had more inexpensively? Again, if I go in this direction the doubles package costs the same thing as the singles package.

I know from my previous research online regarding GolemGear that they seem to be very well respected and make "bulletproof" gear, but not many folks have utilized their stuff directly. However, essentially (aside from the approximately $35 or so price difference) shouldn't the main sticking point in this decision be the quality of the two wings (Golem against Oxycheq) as they are the true "heart" of these packages? Does anyone know how the Oxycheq wing stacks up against the GolemGear wing?

Finally, if the 55 Lb. wing is too much lift for diving double AL80's, is there any particular wing I should look at which would be good for handling the task?

I tell ya...buying gear is hard when you are trying to sort through all the information and you have no solid base of experience/knowledge. I could really, really, REALLY use some guidance here. I'm befuddled as to what to do and which to purchase.

Thanks as always for your information, knowledge, and opinions.

I have the Scuba Toys package. It is very good. The wing is top quality. I have used the 40 and the 30lb wings, there is about 1.5 inches in width difference. I prefer the 30 since I do travel and don't need the extra lift, but both work. BTW: I am big (220lbs, XL and dive cold water).

The 55lb wing is way too big for single tank diving. Trying to use one wing for singles and doubles is tough. Neither will be optimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom