Goliath Grouper Aggregation in Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdandvalerie, that is arguably the best GG video I have seen posted ! Great color, WB, content, representation and just darn fun to watch :) I'm not a video guy, as I'm usually over in the photography forum(s). Saw your post and had to check out. I was hoping to get out there from SoCal, and shoot these beautiful fish (with a camera of course), but the storm a couple of weeks ago squashed my window of opportunity. Perhaps they will still be around in a month ?

Thanks muzikbiz, I appreciate the compliments and it means a lot to me. I am usually posting in the Photog forum but still like to dabble in video when there is something really special. The most amazing things about this video is it's really just a small portion from 2 dives from the past weekend (and a 4 second clip from one of last years dives just to get my wife in the video who is pregnant now and pissed that she can't be diving :wink:). There really is that much action happening. I've heard from a few divers via email with the same problem with the storm that you had...missing their opportunity. The most honest answer I can give you is that I just don't know. The next full moon date is September 29th and some people feel that there is a good chance the Goliaths will disperse however in past years they have remained strong into October. If you do book a trip, buy the trip insurance and feel free to email me for weekly reports if you'd like: jdgaynor1@gmail.com. If the Goliaths are gone, you may not want to make the trip and put the money towards next year...though in my opinion you can't go wrong diving in the Palm Beach area any time of year...but I am somewhat biased. Thanks again for the comments and don't hesitate to hit me up with questions regarding dive reports if you do plan a trip.

I'm really glad you included the sequences with the diver behind the fish, because I don't think anybody can believe how big these guys are until they actually see them. The first one I saw, I thought was a Volkswagen underwater. Very cool video!

I'm really glad you included the sequences with the diver behind the fish, because I don't think anybody can believe how big these guys are until they actually see them. The first one I saw, I thought was a Volkswagen underwater. Very cool video!

Thanks TSandM, yeah, I wanted a quick clip for perspective for exactly that reason but kept the rest of it mostly about the Goliaths. Funny how the "Volkswagon" title sticks nationwide.

Thanks TSandM, yeah, I wanted a quick clip for perspective for exactly that reason but kept the rest of it mostly about the Goliaths. Funny how the "Volkswagon" title sticks nationwide.

Very nice video!

They aren't nearly as big as a VW maybe 350-400 lbs max. I think.

However, several years ago I was diving in the Gulf and saw a single, very shy, jewfish that was 2 times as big as any one I have ever seen. It really WAS as big as a VW. I think I estimated over 800 lbs...it would have to be bigger than the world record fish, if my estimate was correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom