Good affordable camera for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pentiumchic

Reaction score
I'm looking for a camera for a starter that can grow with me as I learn.Oh and won't have to sell off an arm and a leg to buy.

Jen

....could you give us a budget? The answer is very budget specific. It is also goal specific. There are simple film answers that will prove you were underwater, but that is about all. There are a couple of new digital systems that could be described the same.

In your position, I would buy an Olympus C-3040, C-4040, or C-5050 from the Olympus eBay Store and then buy the corresponding housing (either PT-010 for the first two or the PT-015 for the 5050). This will give you a very versatile system that will work as simply as you want, or allow you the freedom to go full manual and take control of your pictures. Depending on which camera you choose, you can get into one of these for 500 to 800 dollars.

Although there are a few entry level film cameras on the market, I still highly recommend a digital camera system. I think you'll be happier with the results.

Alot of us have Olympus systems. Canon also makes a nice system.

As Jeff mentioned, we need to know your budget and you expectations to give you more specific information.

CLICK HERE for search results on beginning cameras.

CLICK HERE, TOO for a few more.

Thank you for the links but already did a search and I can't afford a digital camera and the housing for the digital I have is more than I'll willing to pay and eat for the rest of the month.Only have limited funds but in the long run my own camera would be best to save money.

Jen

pentiumchic once bubbled...
Thank you for the links but already did a search and I can't afford a digital camera and the housing for the digital I have is more than I'll willing to pay and eat for the rest of the month.Only have limited funds but in the long run my own camera would be best to save money.
Jen

Now we have something to go on!

In one of those link is a thread discussing various entry level film cameras. Ikelite Aqua 35, Sealife Reefmaster and Sea & Sea MX-all come to mind that might fit in your budget.

I have a Kodak DX3900 Zoom Digital Camera that I just love.I paid about 500 a little bit more than a year ago.But I so can't justify spending more than 200 to 300 on a housing or another camera....The type of pictures I'm into right now is of fish cause every time I go to try and get one of a nudibranchs,flatwroms and slug it comes out like poo poo.That help?

Jen

How come everyone always sniffs at my $45 Suprema from ebay? :wink:

I finally got my photos posted here if you'd like to see.

Marc

I bought a Bonica Multi-snapper and have been very pleased with it. bonica is really a good company. They recently made a change in the housing and for $35 you could get a new housing with the improvements. I drowned my strobe a couple of times. They gave me a new model strobe the 1st time and replaced it the second time. There was never a question of who was responsible for flooding it.

The camera takes good pictures, comes with built in macro lens and takes pretty decent pictures. I got mine on e-bay for a very reasonable price

...inexpensive underwater cameras are an oxymoron. Best bet, for you, I think, would be to save for the housing, since you already have a camera that you are used to.

I can be Good, Fast, and Cheap. Pick 2!!

Please recommend an inexpensive place to buy the Olympus PT-010 housing.

I found one place wanting around $300....Anyone found it cheaper?

Many thanks!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom