Good Air-Integrated Wrist Computer <$800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure the computer may underestimate the gas requirements to make an ascent, but that's where the reserve pressure comes in. Furthermore there is still some diver judgment involved even if the computer computes the ascent, in that if you're expecting difficult conditions you don't allow the air time to go to zero. The diver can control how much reserve pressure to set as well as the minimum remaining gas time before starting the ascent. At least three manufacturers compute the ascent: Oceanic, Uwatec and Atomic. It's not necessary for the calculation to be perfect, but it provides useful information for the diver.

I've been diving Oceanic AI since 1999. End pressure can be set between 300 and 1500 psi. When air time remaining hits zero, you have enough gas to make a normal ascent (including any deco obligation) to surface with the set end pressure. This assumes a normal asent rate of no more than 60 ft per minute at deeper than 60 feet and no more than 30 ft per minute above 60 ft. As Hatul rightfully points out, the safety buffer is the end pressure one has entered into the computer. One can argue the merits, after more than 650 dives, I can tell you it works quite well.

Good diving, Craig

I've been diving Oceanic AI since 1999. End pressure can be set between 300 and 1500 psi. When air time remaining hits zero, you have enough gas to make a normal ascent (including any deco obligation) to surface with the set end pressure. This assumes a normal asent rate of no more than 60 ft per minute at deeper than 60 feet and no more than 30 ft per minute above 60 ft. As Hatul rightfully points out, the safety buffer is the end pressure one has entered into the computer. One can argue the merits, after more than 650 dives, I can tell you it works quite well.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for sharing. It looks like Oceanic, Uwatec and Atomic have similar implementation of air time.

Back
Top Bottom