Good Air-Integrated Wrist Computer <$800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure I understand your comment. I can't speak for the Liquivision but on the Suunto computers the user sets the minimum value for the air time calculation and alarms. It can be set to whatever the dive requires whether you want it to be 200 psi or 3000 psi.

Hello Scott, There seem to be two implementations of "air time". The Suunto air time does not take into account the gas required to make a safe ascent, while the Uwatec and Oceanic do.

Sure you can set a higher reserve, but how do you know your reserve provides enough gas to make the ascent with all the stops? It's a nice feature for the computer to make that calculation for you.

Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
Sure you can set a higher reserve, but how do you know your reserve provides enough gas to make the ascent with all the stops? It's a nice feature for the computer to make that calculation for you.

You don't plan your reserve gas?

The problem is that in order for the computer to calculate the air you need to make the ascent, it needs to make many assumptions which are not necessarily correct. It must assume what your ascent speed will be, it assumes your air consumption on the ascent will be the same as it was on the bottom; it can't guess if there will be a subsurface current or other issues that could delay your ascent. If you are starting the ascent from a deep depth (100ft+) any delay on the ascent will cause you to incur even more deco which was never part of the plan assumed by the computer at the start of the ascent. The computer can only do so much. At some point it is also up to the diver to take responsibility for deciding how much air pressure they need to make a safe ascent.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Hollis DG03 $249 with DSS wrist bungee mount $19.
Air Integration transmitter $249 if you really must

That leaves $283 for a nice watch to wear while your not diving.

I used to have a Suunto Mosquito. No regrets moving to the Hollis.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

I have a few D4i and Viper Air computers left with the free transmitter. Air integration for under $800. Call me if your interested.

How much for the D4i with transmitter?

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:32 PM ----------

I would look at the OCi. It is a watch type that you are looking for, there is also a free transmitter deal right now. it is around $800. I have an OC1 and really like it. It is a little large for an everyday watch but I have no problems seeing it and using it. AI is a personal preference, if you want it go for it. I made the mistake of not getting what I wanted to begin with and ended up spending more money. I don't generally use the Z+, but if I was going to buddy with someone with a Suunto, I would probably use it.

OCi

Thanks for the advice! Decisions, decisions... It would be nice if we didnt have so many to choose from. What are the main differences between the OCi and the VT4.1 other than size?

The problem is that in order for the computer to calculate the air you need to make the ascent, it needs to make many assumptions which are not necessarily correct. It must assume what your ascent speed will be, it assumes your air consumption on the ascent will be the same as it was on the bottom; it can't guess if there will be a subsurface current or other issues that could delay your ascent. If you are starting the ascent from a deep depth (100ft+) any delay on the ascent will cause you to incur even more deco which was never part of the plan assumed by the computer at the start of the ascent. The computer can only do so much. At some point it is also up to the diver to take responsibility for deciding how much air pressure they need to make a safe ascent.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Sure the computer may underestimate the gas requirements to make an ascent, but that's where the reserve pressure comes in. Furthermore there is still some diver judgment involved even if the computer computes the ascent, in that if you're expecting difficult conditions you don't allow the air time to go to zero. The diver can control how much reserve pressure to set as well as the minimum remaining gas time before starting the ascent. At least three manufacturers compute the ascent: Oceanic, Uwatec and Atomic. It's not necessary for the calculation to be perfect, but it provides useful information for the diver.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

How much for the D4i with transmitter?

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:32 PM ----------

PM Sent.

I have a very limited number of D4i left with free transmitter and the download cable for $725 for anyone who is interested.

Galileo Luna... I love mine. I only have about 10 dives on it, but very user friendly. This is a computer I will never out grow. This thing gives me way more info then I will ever need. I recently added a new first stage so I could add my analog gauges just as a back up since I got a low battery warning down in Cozumel on my last dive. I am sure it had plenty of life left, but I terminated the dive since I wasn't very comfortable with the others in the group. 100% my fault for not swapping the batteries before I left. From what I have heard the battery life is exceptional, I spent hours and hours in the pool with the thing and it sat for a very long period of time so I can't personally comment on the battery life. Many say they get hundreds of dives on it though. The Luna is the way to go imo since you can "up grade" later if you want and have any option the Sol has, just cheaper on the initial purchase.

I have had the Aeris Epic which is the same as the Atom. I wore it as a watch too. It is small and air integrated. These will do tank switching and NITROX. I have even worn it for decompression dives alongside the Galileo SOL and it calculated closely to the SOL,,,, and did not lock out. I bought it for 450 including transmitter and sold it for 450, 60 dives later. The transmitters can be found for less than most and you can use ether Oceanic or Aeris. They use the same frequency. Never had a problem with link up - or losing it. Be advised that the Epic has a "bump" at the top and bottom of the screen with interferes with some of the saturation ticks on the display, the Atom is nice and round.

Suunto computers want to get you out of the water faster since the algorithms are very conservative. Only some of the low end D series are within your constraints. OP WANTS A WATCH SIZED COMPUTER WITH AI.

IF I were you, getting the ATOM 3.0 with transmitter would satisfy your needs and then some. You can also setup your conservative level, which comes closer to the majority of other computers out there, so you don't have to tell your Buddy bye, bye.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom