Good dives within an hour of San Marcos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
When you get in at Joe's, how far do you go? Can you swim up stream or is that just a beating? I'm looking at CrazyDuck's directions and having a hard time figuring out where it is on the map.

Jarrett,
You come over the bridge and take the right. You will see Joes 100ft up the hill when you turn right. As you come over the bridge the waterfall will be to your right side. Joe's sits right next to the falls. It will be easy not see when you come over the bridge.

Check out this map-
http://www.google.com/maps?li=lmd&h...spn=0.005581080003270955,0.012874603271484375

Does this help?

Andrew

Thanks a bunch for the info, Andrew. If you see a couple newbs rolling around and bobbing in there this weekend, its us :)

Jarrett:
Thanks a bunch for the info, Andrew. If you see a couple newbs rolling around and bobbing in there this weekend, its us :)

No Worries mate.
I will be moving this weekend so that will be my fun- Yuck!

Just remember to be careful in the waterfall. Keep everything tucked in and enjoy the ride. Also watch for people jumping from the left bank- they will not be able to see your bubbles. Someone jumped in front of me last trip and I scared them to death when I put out my hand to make sure I did not run into them- they thought I was a creature from the black lagoon. HEHEHEHE

Let us know how it turns out.

Oh, watch out for the College girls that sit out on the hill. THe view is very good! :D

LAter, Andrew

We ended up just snorkeling from Joe's to the end of University Park a few times. We wanted to do a dive, but with one car it was tough. Thought about renting an inexpensive car and doing it though or asking the Lion's Club tube place if we could pay to ride theiytrollet thing, but they were closed for rain today.

Going to be in the San Marcos area this weekend and thinking about doing this snorkel/dive again. Any reason not to this time of year? Thanks.

I havent dove it yet but I've been out there and checked it out about 3 weeks ago.
1. it's very cold
2. the current is very strong.
3. there is a lot of growth blocking part of the river right now. Be careful not to get caught up in it.
I had my novice sister with me and we decided it was too much for her so went out to Windy Point instead.
Have a good time, it looks like a fun roller-coaster ride underwater!

Does the temp or current strength change there throughout the year? I assumed it was pretty constant since its feed continually from Spring Lake there in Aquarena Springs. I snorkeled it about a month ago and had an absolute blast.

Flow rate will change quite a bit driven by the level of the aquifer. But it will only have a really noticable effect in the lower part of the river (below the 2nd dam) where there are rapids. Temps in the winter may fall a couple of degrees - like from 70 to 68 - if that.

Oh, and Diversion spring is capped again in Spring Lake so I guess the current might have slowed down some with that. That is an ugly thing they put over Diversion; I know that the Aquarena people had no say in it though.

We were thinking about diving starting from Joe's down to maybe where the Lion's Club is and repeating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom