Good grief, I've lost my thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closer to January put up a post of when you'll be here - we'll arrange something! I'm all about diving in the Gulf, its my favorite waters as I grew up fishing and terrorizing the back waters and near shore around Ft Myers Beach and Bonita.

What type of dive do you want to do? General bubble blowing? Hunting? Pictures? Video? Dive by brail? :)

If the thought of diving with sharks worries you, you might want to think about maybe going out with snappa charters in Rhode Island before coming down. They do shark cage dives where you can watch these magnifcent animals in their natural state in a safe envirement. Remember that most sharks are harmless

You'll probably enjoy a day trip over to the east coast more than diving the Gulf unless you're an experienced diver. Since you don't yet own your own gear, I'm guessing you aren't very experienced.

Well, I've just received my certification, that's how new I am, but I won't let that stop me. Such a dilemma, where to go, etc.

I am only mildly nervous about sharks. It's just the thought of that initial experience of being in the water with animals higher up on the food chain than I that gives me a slight jolt. Not that it'll keep me out of the water, mind you.

Shark cages. No thanks. Those sound like unfriendly sharks. I would like to meet a nice quiet sedate shark for my initial experience.

Depending on the timeframe you come down, there's a place on the east coast off Palm Beach that Lemon Sharks frequent. I've been on a dive with them, and it is an awe inspiring event.

The following quote is copied from Jim Abernathy's Scuba Adventures Page at http://www.scuba-adventures.com/sharks.shtml. I'm not associated with them in any way whatsoever, other than I have used them in the past for dive charters.

"In Palm Beach , we see these solitary animals occasionally on deeper reefs, but recent findings have shown a migration of sorts in northern Palm Beach County in numbers up to 50+. In January and February, when the water is colder, in the low 70's, they have been seen lying in the sand very close together. Scientists are still trying to figure out exactly what they are doing there. It is most likely courting or mating related. It is however a very unique and amazing spectacle. Until 2000 it had never been heard of anywhere in the world. Scientist are now trying to get this particular area zoned "off limits" to fishing and especially lemon shark fishing during this aggregation and protect the migrating sharks who come here as they most likely make up a large population of lemon sharks on the east coast. Depending on how large the aggregarion is, we will run special trips to see them. FYI - Lemon sharks get their name from their light coloration. Males seem to be thinner than the females who can reach over 10 feet in length and be very bulky. They have a pointy snout and small eyes as well as two dorsal fins, like a nurse or sand tiger shark. "

If you're interested in seeing a shark or two, this would be an opportunity to see a "Nice" shark.

This is my $.02 on it. Other than that, I'm all over some more diving over in Venice. Like the others stated, post it up a little in advance of your trip, and I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a guide or a buddy.

Okay, I will post a few weeks before I go. I thank you all for being patient with my questions. What I lack in experience, I make up for in enthusiasm.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom