Good idea or bad idea? 2000+ ft run to wreck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few weeks ago myself and other local tech divers have run a line out to a wreck that us about 2000' or so from shore. Average depth for the dive is only 60' with a max depth of 80'.

The entire run is in a very high boat traffic area, so we treat it as an overhead environment dive.

The problem that is happening now, is the local rec only shop's owner has been bragging about making it to the wreck and most of the way back on a single tank.

There has been a heated debate about whether this is a good idea or not.

It has come down to those with tech training say its a bad idea and bad form for a shop owner to be promoting this type of dive to single tank divers.

The shop owner is claiming that the dive was properly planned and executed, even though they didnt make it all the way back and had to surface swim part way in the high boat traffic area.

What are your thoughts??

I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. :-(

Please tell this person that he might be responsible for some other diver to try the same thing and end up dead because of it. Possibly some reasoning will soak into his head???

I let people dive the way they choose and, unless they are involving me directly, don't call them a dumba** until I'm asked for my opinion.

Divers have different thresholds when assessing risk management, and as long as everyone understands what they are doing I don't have a problem. If I were to do a "tech" and/or solo dive I did in the '60's and '70's now, I would be good with it but the board would go sideways. Everyone picks their own winner, I pick informed consent.

Bob
-------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

A few weeks ago myself and other local tech divers have run a line out to a wreck that us about 2000' or so from shore. Average depth for the dive is only 60' with a max depth of 80'. The entire run is in a very high boat traffic area, so we treat it as an overhead environment dive....the local rec only shop's owner has been bragging about making it to the wreck and most of the way back on a single tank.

What are your thoughts??

Push the start of the line back some distance from the shore-line. That'd require some navigational/diving expertise to locate, before it could be followed. Thus, if you haven't got the skills to find the line, then you are eliminated from the temptation to follow it.

You aren't responsible for the health, safety or risk management of other divers (not associated with your group). That said, there are perhaps some ethical considerations in providing them with a 'fast-track' to harm, knowing they might unwisely use your resource in the absence of a responsible and risk-aware mindset.

Push the start of the line back some distance from the shore-line. That'd require some navigational/diving expertise to locate, before it could be followed. Thus, if you haven't got the skills to find the line, then you are eliminated from the temptation to follow it.

You aren't responsible for the health, safety or risk management of other divers (not associated with your group). That said, there are perhaps some ethical considerations in providing them with a 'fast-track' to harm, knowing they might unwisely use your resource in the absence of a responsible and risk-aware mindset.

I would agree with the above. But would add that a friendly chat with the shop owner to note that in today's litigious society that as a shop owner and a dive professional he may want to not advertise his exploits too much as it might come back to bite him.

...//... The shop owner is claiming that the dive was properly planned and executed, even though they didnt make it all the way back and had to surface swim part way in the high boat traffic area.

What are your thoughts??

The diveplan was tech on the way out and OW rescue on the return leg. :speaknoevil:

I would agree with the above. But would add that a friendly chat with the shop owner to note that in today's litigious society that as a shop owner and a dive professional he may want to not advertise his exploits too much as it might come back to bite him.

This was mentioned to the shop owner, who quickly proceeded to tell us to. " get off your high horse"

It just seems that this person is sending out the wrong message.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 11:49 PM ----------

The diveplan was tech on the way out and OW rescue on the return leg. :speaknoevil:

I seriously doubt there was any real planning that went into it. Certainly no proper gas management , other than surfacing when low.

I like informed consent.

It is not clear to me whether the shop owner and some buddies did this dive or whether the shop owner took a bunch of his sudents/clients on this dive. The first is informed consent. The second might be something else if that is what happened. Rightly or wrongly newer divers will believe if their shop is doing it then it must be a safe thing to do. That I think would be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom