Good idea or bad idea? 2000+ ft run to wreck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like informed consent.

It is not clear to me whether the shop owner and some buddies did this dive or whether the shop owner took a bunch of his sudents/clients on this dive. The first is informed consent. The second might be something else if that is what happened. Rightly or wrongly newer divers will believe if their shop is doing it then it must be a safe thing to do. That I think would be wrong.

This was the shop owner and one of his owsi's.

The problem comes when bragging about it on facebook.

If someone wants to go and do it unsafely, thats their problem, but dont go and brag to your novice student audience saying that the dive was safe.

---------- Post added July 21st, 2013 at 12:27 AM ----------

Graeme was it NII wreck ?

No. Neilson wreck in barrie.

I like informed consent.

It is not clear to me whether the shop owner and some buddies did this dive or whether the shop owner took a bunch of his sudents/clients on this dive. The first is informed consent. The second might be something else if that is what happened. Rightly or wrongly newer divers will believe if their shop is doing it then it must be a safe thing to do. That I think would be wrong.

Having learned SCUBA diving long ago, I forget that dive planning now is well past OW if taught at all before tech. I'll try to restrain my comments next time.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Having learned SCUBA diving long ago, I forget that dive planning now is well past OW if taught at all before tech. I'll try to restrain my comments next time.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

No kidding. Most shops don't teach tables anymore. Wtf?

I think I would be more worried about the scooter functioning, than air supply. If you run low on air, you could rest on the surface on the wreck and then make the return trip, extra shallow (to accomodate a low air supply). If a scooter dies and puts you into a position of swimming a scooter 2000 ft... with traffic on the surface... that's not fun..even with a 3 tanks and a lot of air.

Historically, I always thought that it was not prudent of Bret Gilliam to report his 400 foot single 80 dive in the Tongue in Sport Diver Magazine. I have since come to believe that we are all given tools to dive safely, and if Darwin happens, so be it. It's removal of the weakest from the gene pool. YMMV.

Historically, I always thought that it was not prudent of Bret Gilliam to report his 400 foot single 80 dive in the Tongue in Sport Diver Magazine. I have since come to believe that we are all given tools to dive safely, and if Darwin happens, so be it. It's removal of the weakest from the gene pool. YMMV.

So then, are you trying to say that I should actually be dead? :no:

Accounting for the scooter failure is part of the dive plan :)
I think I would be more worried about the scooter functioning, than air supply. If you run low on air, you could rest on the surface on the wreck and then make the return trip, extra shallow (to accomodate a low air supply). If a scooter dies and puts you into a position of swimming a scooter 2000 ft... with traffic on the surface... that's not fun..even with a 3 tanks and a lot of air.

No. Neilson wreck in barrie.

Haven't heard of the Neilson before.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 10:46 AM ----------

And now I've found the coordinates I see the problem lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom