Good OTC drugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite "I've gotta sleep" product is Merysendol...a nice muscle relaxant/pain killer combo. Take two and you will be OUT. Watch the clock though...you don't want to take them when you need to get up in under 6 hours...you'll be totally out of it.

Take the drugs for the symptoms, and buy generic. Acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever/pain/headache, pseudoephedrine for congestion (stay away from this if you're going to bed anytime soon, since it's a close cousin of adrenaline and raises blood pressure and excitement lever), diphenhydramine or loratadine (I LOVE this stuff) for allergies, dextromethorphan for coughing, and guaifenesin for phlegm in the airways.

Nyquil is kinda nice since it combines a few of these, but it will have the same medicine as all the others that are "nighttime" formulas - they have diphenhydramine, which puts you to sleep, but leave out the decongestant. Oxymetazoline is incredibly effective for relieving congestion when it's absolutely necessary (NOT for diving), but it's really easy to get hooked.

All that being said, I think Claritin-D 24 hour (Wal Mart has a great generic version) is one hell of a product, and combined with some Tylenol for head or sinus pain, you're all set. The generic 24 hour stuff will be less than $1 a pill, and it works.

Oh yeah, if we're including prescriptions and you want to get knocked the heck out, take some Codeine. Makes everything all right :wink:

the active ingredient in mersyndol is codeine*... you can get it on line without
a prescription, but i don't know how advisable that is.

* to be precise, codeine phosphate, paracetamol, and doxylamine succinate.

I've literally lost weekends of my life to Codeine. Many years ago I was prone to getting incredibly painful ear infections... always got sent home with Cipro drops, an oral antibiotic (usually Omnicef or amoxicillin), and the ol Tylenol #3.

I got one last year and quite literally slept for 3 entire days. It's nice not having to deal with the pain when it comes around :p

Thanks for all the good drug tips, y'all. After spending $45 at the pharmacy, I came home with the whole arsenal of decongestants, sleeping formulas, cough suppressants, vitamins, minerals, beneficial bacteria, echinacea and even a digital thermometer. Slept like the dead for two nights and now, feeling much better! Although not better than James Brown.

coppermaus:
Slept like the dead for two nights and now, feeling much better! Although not better than James Brown.

Hey, cm... how are you feeling?

SubMariner:
Hey, cm... how are you feeling?
Hey SubMariner,

I'm feeling much better, thanks. Finally getting some rest definitely did the trick. Still sporting that nice nasally sounding voice but overall feeling well enough to get back to the gym tomorrow.

As for the chicken soup, even though I'm a mostly vegetarian, chicken soup does seem to have some wonderful healing properties. Couldn't convince my mom to drive over a couple of mountain passes to make some for me though. :sad:

Thanks again for all the great advice.

no problem, and here's hoping you continue to feel better!

coppermaus:
Hey SubMariner,

I'm feeling much better, thanks. Finally getting some rest definitely did the trick. Still sporting that nice nasally sounding voice but overall feeling well enough to get back to the gym tomorrow.

You definitely sound like you're on the mend. :thumb:

As for the chicken soup, even though I'm a mostly vegetarian, chicken soup does seem to have some wonderful healing properties. Couldn't convince my mom to drive over a couple of mountain passes to make some for me though.

The healing properties of a nice steamy bowl of chicken soup (with or without the matzoh balls) is well documented... at least in OUR family. :wink:

Be well,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom