Question Good Way to Discover NorCal Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACHiPo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’d like to try diving in the local Bay Area waters and am looking for recommendations for the best way to safely start.

I booked a South Pacific holiday next May. I’m getting the urge to get back into diving. I grew up in the Midwest and got my AOW in cold water with poor visibility, but it’s been many years since I’ve been in cold water—no wetsuit, etc. I’m not sure if I’ll like the cold waters of Monterey, et al, so not sure I’m ready to buy a wetsuit just yet, so renting tanks wetsuit would be part of the plan. I’d also like a DM/guide to help me learn the local knowledge.

What recommendations do folks have? One option is a local club, or Diver Dan’s in Santa Clara where I’ve gotten gear and training. Wondering if working directly with a Monterey dive shop would be a good choice? Any recommendations?

I’d like to try diving in the local Bay Area waters and am looking for recommendations for the best way to safely start.

I booked a South Pacific holiday next May. I’m getting the urge to get back into diving. I grew up in the Midwest and got my AOW in cold water with poor visibility, but it’s been many years since I’ve been in cold water—no wetsuit, etc. I’m not sure if I’ll like the cold waters of Monterey, et al, so not sure I’m ready to buy a wetsuit just yet, so renting tanks wetsuit would be part of the plan. I’d also like a DM/guide to help me learn the local knowledge.

What recommendations do folks have? One option is a local club, or Diver Dan’s in Santa Clara where I’ve gotten gear and training. Wondering if working directly with a Monterey dive shop would be a good choice? Any recommendations?

I'd work with the local shop and look for a local buddy to share rides out to Monterey to dive. The shop probably has group dives out there as well, and you can meet divers through them. Since it's local, the logistics of meeting divers face to face is easier.

Good luck

I'd work with the local shop and look for a local buddy to share rides out to Monterey to dive. The shop probably has group dives out there as well, and you can meet divers through them. Since it's local, the logistics of meeting divers face to face is easier.

Good luck
Thanks. I think I want something more than a buddy on the first dives as I don't know the site or the local conditions. Plus I'm rusty--it's been 3 years since I last dove and that was in warm water with a Dive Master. I've already reached out to the local dive shop in Pleasanton and will check with Diver Dan's next time I'm there.

Thanks. I think I want something more than a buddy on the first dives as I don't know the site or the local conditions. Plus I'm rusty--it's been 3 years since I last dove and that was in warm water with a Dive Master. I've already reached out to the local dive shop in Pleasanton and will check with Diver Dan's next time I'm there.

I'll bet the shop would be more than happy to rent you a guide DM to sort you out, if you aren't looking for a refresher course. The breakwater in Monterey is a pretty benign spot and used a lot for classes, I took Rescue there. Over the long run you need contacts to find other divers to buddy with until you find a, or some, regular buddy(s), if you want to get into local diving. There are a lot of great spots in the area.

I'll bet the shop would be more than happy to rent you a guide DM to sort you out, if you aren't looking for a refresher course. The breakwater in Monterey is a pretty benign spot and used a lot for classes, I took Rescue there. Over the long run you need contacts to find other divers to buddy with until you find a, or some, regular buddy(s), if you want to get into local diving. There are a lot of great spots in the area.
Bob,
Thanks. I just heard back from the place in Pleasanton and the owner suggested the same thing. Once I feel a bit more comfortable again I’ll begin searching for other divers, plugging into a club, etc.

I’ve heard Pt Lobos is accessible (easy-ish) and good diving, although difficult to get permission/license.

Evan

I’ve heard Pt Lobos is accessible (easy-ish) and good diving, although difficult to get permission/license.

It's a great place, and beautiful, both below and above the water. It's been a while for me, but during the week is better, and during the winter. The ocean viz in winter is generally better if one can catch it between storms.

You need to get comfortable diving again, and diving cold water before you get out directly on the ocean, as it is more demanding, and can change conditions dramatically in the course of a dive.

Have fun

Bob,
Thanks. I just heard back from the place in Pleasanton and the owner suggested the same thing. Once I feel a bit more comfortable again I’ll begin searching for other divers, plugging into a club, etc.

Evan

Getting a weekend dive reservation at lobos is tough but midweek is fairly easy.

The only person I know who actually has a permit to lead dives at lobos is Randall; and I highly recommend him.

Spanglers' Scuba

All of the shops have dive clubs and I’ll second that they are the best way to find buddies. I am loosely affiliated with the Diver Dans club and am happy to try and help you find a buddy. If schedules align I’ll dive with you too. Feel free to DM me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom