Goodbye Caribbean Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no data, no hypothesis.

I do have 45 years of Caribbean diving to reflect upon.

It has gotten worse every year, never better.

In 1970, Cayman and the Bahamas were spectacular (underwater).

When the land gets disturbed by development, it's all over- siltation and run-off.

That's what I've heard--coastal development is the biggest factor by a long shot. Yet divers stay at the hotels that are built. Once someone said that they wouldn't stay at a new hotel being built but would stay at the older ones because "the damage is already done". Hmmm.

In light of the last several posts concerning the effects of human (read that "tourist" or specifically "tourist DIVERS") impacts on reef systems, the news is particularly disconcerting. Over the long term, that spells trouble for even the more resilient Indo-Pacific coral systems. Under this premise, as Caribbean coral ecosystems degrade over the next decades, divers would naturally seek out healthier systems to vist. That would shift the load increasingly to the Pacific sites, thus putting THEM under more and more stress. It's a frightening cycle. Hopefully, changes will be made in time to preserve fragile ecosystems and turn back the clock a bit on areas that are already suffering.
The encouraging news is that coral systems that undergo restoration and protection projects have shown a remarkable ability to recover. Granted, they may never regain their former glory, but that doesn't mean we should just give up and accept their demise. We have to fight to save what can be saved, even when that requires some rather sweeping changes.

"Fast growing seawood?" Really now.

Certainly nutrient enrichment through agricultural runoff from adjacent landmasses and siltation are damaging to coral reefs. However, I have to wonder about the impact of overharvesting of herbivorous fish... and turtles... from the Caribbean waters. When one reads of the "early" European exploration of the Caribbean, there are accounts of turtles being so thick you could practically walk across their backs to the islands from ship. The devastation of turtle populations as well as herbivorous fish most certainly has had a serious impact on the algal growth.

I just came back from the Philippines, diving the Cagayancillo chain of islands, of which Tubbataha is a part of. Now, I've only been in the Caribbean (Belize) for 12 years but the difference in just the amount of fish, all species, between here and Cagayancillo is amazing.
But the Philippines has been fished harder than here. Dynamite, cyanide, hook and line....those people FISH. Why has the Caribbean seemingly been more devastated? I know there are less species here, but the fish biomass per unit of measure is also greater there. As well as coral.

I just came back from the Philippines, diving the Cagayancillo chain of islands, of which Tubbataha is a part of. Now, I've only been in the Caribbean (Belize) for 12 years but the difference in just the amount of fish, all species, between here and Cagayancillo is amazing.
But the Philippines has been fished harder than here. Dynamite, cyanide, hook and line....those people FISH. Why has the Caribbean seemingly been more devastated? I know there are less species here, but the fish biomass per unit of measure is also greater there. As well as coral.

What I think is that when there are many more species then the food chain is more complex and stronger. If one type of species of herbivore is having trouble in the Indo-pacific there are many others that can do the same job and prevent the algae from over-growing the reef. Look how many species of surgeon fish are in Hawaii; yellow tang, convict tang, naso tang, kole tang, sailfin tang, achilles tang, orange spot shoulder tang, powder brown tang, white band tang, ring tail surgeonfish, blue lines surgeonfish, chevron tang, short-nose unicornfish, sleek unicornfish, bluespine unicornfish, etc. and then they have rabbitfishes that are even better at eating algae. In the Caribbean there is the blue tang and maybe a few others. I think this is the big reason the algae is over growing the reefs in the Caribbean/Atlantic. The pollution has helped to grow much faster than normal but the herbivore species in the Caribbean/Atlantic can not keep up. In the Indo-pacific the number of herbivorous fishes is enormous and when there is more algae available they are able to eat it.

Another thing is that in the Indo-pacific many of the species there actually love to eat the types of algae that are growing in the Caribbean/Atlantic. For instance, the Lobophora algae is eaten by the naso tang but I don't think that there are any fish in the Caribbean/Atlantic that want to eat this algae. Unfortunately, Lobophora is one of the algae over growing the coral reefs in the Caribbean/Atlantic.

Huh. I have to say, as someone who dives reasonably regularly in both the Caribbean and the Pacific, I hadn't actually noticed any great difference. Must pay more attention to the background and less attention to the fish next time I am in the "big pond".

Huh. I have to say, as someone who dives reasonably regularly in both the Caribbean and the Pacific, I hadn't actually noticed any great difference. Must pay more attention to the background and less attention to the fish next time I am in the "big pond".

By "Pacific" I'm referring to the Indo Pacific. Hawaii is kind of like a desert also....more like the Caribbean.
My buddy from the Philippines was here spearing fish with us last year. He told me jokingly, "you must kill more of these snappers. They've eaten all the reef fish".
But he was referring to his noticing that there are basically just less fish. And this was at a very "fishy" spot here.

... divers would naturally seek out healthier systems to vist. That would shift the load increasingly to the Pacific sites, thus putting THEM under more and more stress. It's a frightening cycle....

It's not a cycle, it's a linear graph, only declining. The only thing that will save any paradise will be lack of air service and dive infrastructure. Bikini survived multiple atomic blasts, but the passage of 50+ years of silence seems to had helped. Most readers here will not be able to know- the world economy trend looks very protective for the likes of Bikini. When Chuuk was called Truk, near shore reefs looked a lot different underwater (and certainly felt a lot different above water).

In the Caribbean, we have Los Roques, currently unserved after the long-ago cessation of services from the Hughes Antares III- it is a smorgasboard of shallow wooden wrecks from the days of pirates and privateers- I have seen 40+ wrecks- but the shallow sandy current keptr the volume too low for a liveabaord to survive- that and the crapola of having to operate in Venezuala- so maybe the government there did do some good.

Also largely untouched are the NW Barrier islands off of Grenada- nothing at all like the comparatively mediocre stuff they have off of the SE and usual dive sites. It's just very expensive and grueling to get all the way to the opposite end of "civilization".

Tobago, at least the North end, is relatively unaffected by sedimentation, but the insane currents are 90% of the reason for the cleansing. Three years ago, we watched an 85' ketch drop anchor off shore. Within an hour, we were diving the reef it had moored "next to". In this short period, the chain had sawed through about 6+ meters of Coral.

I was always told by my mentors that Cuba had absolutely decayed before 1970. They were referring to the florid reefs close to the Northern shores. As they continued to dive into the "newly" opened zones of the South- they were indeed inviting, but not the same delicate structures once enjoyed near the bigger population centers.

These and other sites will be accessed because of the front page of your favorite magazine full of advertising, you know the ones (all of them)... they have a splashy headline that touts, "Dive Travel- the next big thing". It's what they do, it's what we want. In the 1070's the dive mags were full of exotica including the Bahamas and Key West. They're just trying to find a dive location that can afford to advertise in their magazine so they can "write and article" about it.

You have a lot of dives, but you have hair, so I suppose you're kind-of :wink: young (?) I'm referencing the differences since 1970's.

In the 70's the florida Keys were remarkable- hell- Fort Lauderdale was, too.

Grand Cayman, just South of Georgetown- that was the place for visitors to shore dive and interact with an 8' Moray named Snaggletooth (of famed image with bikini clad diver gals) and A Grouper the size of my Grandma's Couch... he was named Buggsy. This was just off-shore the now-long-gone, perfect diver-dump that was located 1 door further South of the still extant Sunset House.

In the era when the Oro Verde placed-wreck was still intact, newly plopped into Georgetown Harbour- the Cruise ships increased in their capacity and ran shuttle boats in to drop passengers. Tourist flocked to buy Black Coral from Bernie Passman and to eat at Chef Tell's Grand Old House.

Then, a stop-light appeared at the T intersection right near the cruise ship tender landing. The roads squeezed through residential properties and cemetery walls. The place simply had no forward looking urban planning. All of those tires that are worn away from rental cars- all that rubber has to wind up somewhere.

I was listening to an FM station one afternoon. There was a traffic report being radioed in from an aircraft. Bernie started buying and importing finished Black Coral pieces from a "Cayman Cousin" in Roatan.

Later, Julia Roberts and Denzel showed up and filed the Pelican Brief, it Cayman Went. The Cayman Triange gobbled up the Barefoot Man (and the Holiday Inn). Tom Cruise got "Firm" there, read more at http://www.compasscayman.com/observer/2011/02/20/CAYMAN--IN-THE--MOVIES/

The last time I was in Cayman, I dove with Chris Lexau (rip). As they say, "You can't go home anymore".

I'm not trying to ignite a debate about whether other zones of Cayman (or it's sister islets) have survived. the point I make is that: Success kills.

It's kin of an analogy to the famous movie line (from a Robert Redford Movie): "Always marry a virgin- that way she won't know to be disappointed". This explains why so many glowing reports come from divers who charter with Club Dread.

Just back from a trip onboard the AquaCat in the Bahamas. The staff there said one part of the "algae problem" was an urchin disease that pretty much wiped them out a few years ago. Evidently there are efforts to breed and transplant urchin but as with many things the going is slow and the success not assured. Certainly I noticed there were hardly ANY urchins on the dive sites we visited; on past visits they were all over the place.

Just back from a trip onboard the AquaCat in the Bahamas. The staff there said one part of the "algae problem" was an urchin disease that pretty much wiped them out a few years ago. Evidently there are efforts to breed and transplant urchin but as with many things the going is slow and the success not assured. Certainly I noticed there were hardly ANY urchins on the dive sites we visited; on past visits they were all over the place.

I think the Caribbean/Atlantic has Diadema antillarum as their main algae eating urchins while the Indo-pacifc has many other species in the Diadema genus in addition to Diadema antillarum. Here is a link:Diadema (genus) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Indo-pacific also has many other types of urchins as well like Heterocentrotus mamillatus and Heterocentrotus trigonarius which also eat algae. This is one reason I feel that the Indo-pacific will be better able to withstand the destruction by man than the Caribbean/Atlantic due to the huge numbers of species that can compensate for a plague that strikes one species.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom