Goodbye Caribbean Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has some important information about the various problems with the coral reef in the Caribbean. I am a little bit surprised that the scuba diving community is not more concerned and active in understanding and helping to reverse the decline of coral in the Caribbean. Anybody that dove in the Caribbean in the 70's has got to be saddened by the incredible losses of coral and ecosystem that depends on them. Similar declines are happening around the world but the Caribbean has suffered as much or more than anywhere else. Most studies indicate that the coral starting dying in the 1970's with the major culprit being White Band Disease (WBD) that killed a large percentage of the Staghorn and Elkhorn coral that are/were the main reef builders. Then in 1982, 98% of the sea urchins (Diadema) died due to a disease that started in the Panama Canal and killed nearly all the Diadema in a matter of weeks. Diadema were the primary algae eaters. So, tons of coral died and the algae-eater died, so algae grew unchecked resulting in a phase shift from coral to algae in many areas throughout the Caribbean. The algae continues to gain the upper hand as sewage and development run-off adds nutrients, and the other algea-eaters (herbivores like Parrotfish) are being over-fished. Add to that, increasing carbon in the atmosphere makes it more difficult for corals (and shellfish) to absorb the calcium carbonate they need to build and maintain their skeletons. Add to that, increased thermal stresses (climate change) that have caused widespread bleaching due to longer and hotter periods. Coral is also stressed from other diseases such as white pox, which has been proven to come from human sewage. Boat anchors and groundings and numerous hurricanes continue to pound the Caribbean coral. Not a pretty picture. However, there are some things that scuba divers can do to help. Marine Protected Areas have been shown to increase the biomass of herbivores and reduce algae. Mote Marine laboratory is leading the effort to breed and release sea urchins. The Coral Restoration Foundation has rescued fragments of Staghorn and Elkhorn and now has 50,000 corals growing in its nurseries, and they have used volunteer divers to plant 10,000 corals back to the reef in the Florida Keys. The CRF hopes to identify the most disease and heat resistant genotypes to help repopulate the reef with hardy thickets of spawning coral. It is also good news that sewage systems are being implemented but more sewage treatment is needed throughout the Caribbean and boats need to quit dumping sewage. Also, we all need to reduce our CO2 contributions and raise awareness about how increased acidification and heat-induced bleaching are harming the reefs. I think the scuba industry should be supporting efforts like the CRF and interested divers should check out their website (coralrestoration.org) and sign-up for a volunteer dive or make a contribution. I wonder how many divers already knew all the causes of the coral decline? Anyone else have ideas for how scuba divers can help save and repair the coral reef?

Reactions: Doc
It's human contact, especially the development of tourism facilities, that causes most of the damage. Fishing pressure is a minor issue in comparison to the dredging, road building, construction, creation of sandy beaches that have been cleared underwater for swimmers and waders, and the massive pollution created by great numbers of people concentrated near the reefs.

I've been diving the Caribbean and Florida since the early 70s, and the decline has been catastrophic. There are places, once wonderful and magical, that I will not go back to because the contrast between what is now and what was only a few decades ago is emotionally devastating to me. Negril, where I lived for a year back in the 70s is one.

As the number of people in China with enough disposable income to afford tourism travel increases to stupefying levels, the impact on much of the Indo Pacific will follow the same sad course as what has befallen the Caribbean. The Indo Pacific is huge, but so is the population of China.

I appreciate all the information, but it is much more useful, understandable and likely to be read if broken into paragraphs.

That said, the white pox disease that has been killing all the staghorn and elkhorn coral appears to be the result of a bacterial infection spread from humans to coral. by Serratia marcescens which is found naturally in the gut.

IMHO, the loss of staghorn and elkhorn coral has been so massive that it would seem impossible to independently assess the Caribbean-wide effects of any other potential cause of coral damage.

Sewage, run-off laden with fertilizer, reductions in herbivorous fish (most likely aided by lionfish predation on the young), reductions in other herbivores such as urchins, reductions in sharks that feed on mid-level predators, warming oceans, etc. Lots of issues probably converging to create this sad situation. Personally I greatly prefer the Indo-Pacific to the Caribbean anyway due to the much higher biodiversity, but I've been saddened to dive several areas of the Caribbean and see the decline in the reefs there and the amount of algal growth.

The problem is people. Get rid of the people and the reefs will come back.

Signed, A Concerned Misanthrope.

The human species is its own worst enemy. We will continue to consume, develop, and destroy until there is no more. The oceans are not dying, they are dead and we refuse to acknowledge that fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom