Goodbye ponies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a photo of a 19cu on my back, (yellow tank- octo clipped on my right BC strap, a complete redundant air source. As a newer diver on a trip to Palau it gave me the confidence I needed. I've only used it once but for that trip it was perfect. On a sad note I did find that a lot of boats in HI did not allow me to bring it on with my gear, for various reasons, but mostly they didn't want to "fuss" with it.

actually- I am using the octo to inflate my surface signal- I just clicked on the picture to enlarge it and saw that- another use.

On a sad note I did find that a lot of boats in HI did not allow me to bring it on with my gear, for various reasons, but mostly they didn't want to "fuss" with it.

I'm guessing they were setting up your gear, otherwise why would they care?

Once on a boat in HI they set up my gear and did not tighten the cam straps on my single tank...since I'm a stickler for checking my gear I spotted it right away. I was really dubious about letting anyone set up my gear, and that was the first and last time I'll let someone do this. Really, I don't understand the idea that setting someone's life support system up for them is a great service to offer *. :shakehead:

Edit: *Unless of course the diver is disabled, elderly or has a bad back. I'm talking about the idea of "never touch your gear while you dive with us" kind of service for all divers.

Last edited:
Here's my travelling stage setup on a rental AL80 on my last trip.

Attachments

• Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 213
You can't rule out o-ring failure.

You are talking about dives where you need a better solution than CESA.

Options are carrying a redundant air supply or diving effectively with a buddy. If you dive with a good buddy and dive as a team then you might consider that as ample back-up.

If you dive in poor visibility or as a loose team then carry your own back-up.

Pete

If I do any type of diving over 20 feet I always bring my pony with me. Even if I never use it, it's like my security blanket.

I am in agreement with Hallmac. I too have over 1000 dives with out any type of equipment failure or running out of air. I have never carried redundancy even when solo.
You need to know your equipment inside and out, be able to do at least some service such as changing O rings and burst discs. All bets are off if it involves rental equipment. In that situation than redundancy may be something to consider.
Hoses can burst but it is one of those situation where replacing them as a routine service may not be the best thing. I think the biggest chance of failure is a manufacturing defect in the hose which would happen fairly soon so if your old hose is 10 years old but in good shape it may be safer than a new hose that is an unknown quantity.

I'll just add that I've never had a fire burn my house down or a storm blow it apart but I still purchase insurance.

I'll just add that I've never had a fire burn my house down or a storm blow it apart but I still purchase insurance.

Good point.

It's not that intrusive, it clips on in seconds, I never know it's there while in the water, but I'm glad it is!

I am in agreement with Hallmac. I too have over 1000 dives with out any type of equipment failure or running out of air. I have never carried redundancy even when solo.
You need to know your equipment inside and out, be able to do at least some service such as changing O rings and burst discs. All bets are off if it involves rental equipment. In that situation than redundancy may be something to consider.
Hoses can burst but it is one of those situation where replacing them as a routine service may not be the best thing. I think the biggest chance of failure is a manufacturing defect in the hose which would happen fairly soon so if your old hose is 10 years old but in good shape it may be safer than a new hose that is an unknown quantity.

I totally agree with you and Hallmac. While I don't have nearly as many dives as you guys, I have logged over 400 dives and have never once had an equipment failure or even come close to running out of air. I've never even been on a dive boat with numerous other divers and seen one of them have an equipment problem during a dive with their tanks or regulators. I have my scubapro regs serviced every year and they are now over 10 years old and they work as good as new.

If the OP keeps his dives to the conditions he has described, always dives with a buddy, and assuming they have good buddy skills, then I see no need for him to carry a pony. His buddy is his pony!

Save yourself the trouble and leave your pony at home Lee. Like you have said, the chances of you having a problem is very remote and in the unlikely event it does happen, your buddy is there.

BDSC

Back
Top Bottom