GoPro Cineform editing - how does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a longer clip then you can just adjust wb by key frames and it really doesnt make any difference if it was shot in shorter clips or not. Ideally you will just shoot stuff you need in shorter clips but if I give a camera to a newbie that just wants to have a try, what they think are 20 second clips end up about 5 to barely 10 second clips with shake when turning on and shake when turning off wasting a few seconds each way. Many times your not left with much to work with, if I am going to edit I dont mind working longer clips as I also have plenty of storage space and my computer is fairly quick at encoding to CF format. Its probably not the best way to teach someone lol but it at least gives me some better footage to work with.

I dive and shoot video just for fun and Im not going to give people strict instructions just tell them a few basics and let them have a bit of fun with it. If you get useble video after good if not oh well we had fun trying at least.

I then just convert the entire long clips scan through the parts I like in CF and set keyframes just before and after the parts I want to use. Then I set these as needed and go through the clip, once done I will scroll through all of the key frames and make sure I am getting a consistent result.

At first I was very skeptical about cam raw and it actually delivers what protune I hoped would in the hero2, but still lacks due to no WB control. That is being able to easily match multiple cameras and also use pretty much any shot at any depth, I haven't gone beyond 30m with the 3 black yet but at levels where the older GoPro's really tended to struggle it does so much better.

In 3D this should be a huge help as balancing the colours on left and right frames was nearly impossible on daylight dives at even 2m due to inconsistent AWB. My last few dives shooting 2 hero3 blacks by 2 divers it has been very easy to match both cameras throughout, along with getting a pretty good even look all through at various depths and vis levels too.

This video shows a before and after grading, it was a very quick edit so I could have done much better but all up this only took a few hours to edit and render. Its only shallow with the stuff under the pier only around 5-6m and the other parts with sandy bottom between 8-10m but its so murky as it has a very fine sand here that silts up most things with any sort of surge near the sandy bottom. Ive taken a few GoPro's here in the past but never quite got any decent results even when conditions where much better then on this day which isnt the worst ive seen it but really far from ideal video conditions.

[video=youtube;AMAMKoRQre0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMAMKoRQre0[/video]

I had shot a few shots trying close up filters using the regular mode as I forgot to set to 1080p narrow via app with pt on (only way possible with current firmware) even with the lights footage had a very green tinge to it and if I was a little further away even at the shallower parts around 5m the footage is a complete green out similar to 20m + in my multi cam filter tests but at less then half the depth due to murkier waters.

This confirmed my views on this mode and there is no way I could have matched 2 cameras in a 3d housing here let alone 2 separate divers in the past one sometimes using lights too.

Shooting at nite with lights though same as most above water video is fine with AWB as the gopro's have always done well in those conditions, even in ideal conditions with auto and filters will give pretty good results though you still may lose the odd shots due to wb issues in changing light and so id rather shoot like this to ensure if something good comes along and im shooting the footage will be useable.

I guess it depends on the workflow you adopt
If you can do all the WB and corrections first you then do clip selection later in iMovie or similar
You can also split the input files before import of you don't want to go navigating key frames
Say you can make 1' clips that usually have similar depth
There are plenty ways to skin the cat hopefully without having a computer or brain meltdown

That is true about plenty of ways to skin a cat, many of my methods are more cpu intensive and storage intensive but thats why I put together a decent editing machine. If you have limited hardware and storage you will likely be much more efficient then some of my chosen workflow. Even traveling I will be much more selective of what I shoot as there is no need to shoot hours of footage I will never use.

Most of my early stuff I shot lots of long continuous video more to see how the camera behaves throughout to give me a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Lots of my footage is useless and overkill but at home with access to my desktop I can afford to work in that way. Then when needed I can easily make adjustments if needed and just shoot what I know will give me good results. I have also pretty much tested everything I needed to know and have a good idea of how to deal with the new 3 blacks and will let me be much more efficient in my processing when my resources arent unlimited whilst traveling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom