GoPro first purchase gear selection what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDesp

Registered
Reaction score
So after reading the forums for a couple days and watching youtube videos I have decided to purchase the following as my first GoPro gear.
I will be diving in Thailand no deeper than 18m. If anyone has any final input that might help me or change my mind I would appreciate your comments before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition

BlurFix3+ 55 adapater
BlurFix3+ 55

URPro CY Filter (For diving)
URPRO CY FIlter

55 mm SRP Circular Polarizer - MC (For non diving videos)
55 mm SRP Circular Polarizer - MC

Either the GoPole Reach or GoPole EVO (still undecided here)
https://shop.gopole.com/

Thanks again for any comments.

So after reading the forums for a couple days and watching youtube videos I have decided to purchase the following as my first GoPro gear.
I will be diving in Thailand no deeper than 18m. If anyone has any final input that might help me or change my mind I would appreciate your comments before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition

BlurFix3+ 55 adapater
BlurFix3+ 55

URPro CY Filter (For diving)
URPRO CY FIlter

55 mm SRP Circular Polarizer - MC (For non diving videos)
55 mm SRP Circular Polarizer - MC

Either the GoPole Reach or GoPole EVO (still undecided here)
https://shop.gopole.com/

Thanks again for any comments.

I have been using the following for GoPro3+ Filters for diving and they work amazing:
Underwater Camera News: Backscatter Flip3.1 Underwater Color Correction Filter for GoPro Hero3 cameras

For pod, I got this one and it is also very good: GoPro 3-way | This 3-in-1 mount can be used as a camera grip, extension arm or tripod.

Hope this helps

You don't need a blurfix for a Gopro hero 3+

It seems the SRP blur fix for hero3 is nothing more than a adapter for adding SRP fiter. There is no blur to fix in hero3 at all. The factory housing already has flat port. $40 for adapter kit is quite expansive to me.

It seems the SRP blur fix for hero3 is nothing more than a adapter for adding SRP fiter. There is no blur to fix in hero3 at all. The factory housing already has flat port. $40 for adapter kit is quite expansive to me.

You are correct here is what the sales rep told me in email...
"I would recommend getting the the BlurFix3+ 55 adapter and then purchasing the 55 mm URPRO CY Filter and 55 mm SRP Polarizers separately. The 55 mm URPRO CY filter is more expensive than the CYD filter, but it is easier to remove since you will be swapping filters. The CYD is intended mainly for person looking for a dedicated diving filter/adapter combo"

So per his advice it will be easier to swap filters with the adapter.

Be careful of what you are buying. I got a Hero 3+ (this year) and found out that a lot of the filters for the Hero 2 or Hero 3 did not work on the Hero 3+. If you look at the pictures you will see some Go Pro have a round frame around the lens with a lot of screws (Hero 2), others have a square frame with lots of screws (original Hero 3 or the deep scuba housing for 3+) and some have a square frame with no screws (Hero 3+).

When I read reviews I found out that the Hero 3 housing was good to 60m and the closure for the Hero 3 was slightly different than the Hero 3+ housing. The default housing for the Hero 3+ is good to 40m (still a good housing) but the housing and lens frame are different. This means some of the original filters are different and won't work on the Hero 3+. I was also told the Hero 3+ does not need the blur fix. I haven't had a chance to use the Hero 3+ underwater (going to use it next weekend). After next weekend I'll have an idea of how it works with the default housing at 10m to 15m (no lights).

Some of the best video I have seen use a lighting mount with a tripod mount in the center. So you put the Go Pro in the middle and have arms for whatever lighting you want to use.

I have seen a few videos (Go Pro or otherwise) without lights and they all suffer the green effect if they have no lights. Anything below 10m will really need lights from what I can tell. I'll see how bad things are after my first underwater dive. I suspect the amount of particulate in the water will also have an effect on my video. I plan on diving in water with typically 3m to 5m of visibility.

I have been using the following for GoPro3+ Filters for diving and they work amazing:
Underwater Camera News: Backscatter Flip3.1 Underwater Color Correction Filter for GoPro Hero3 cameras

For pod, I got this one and it is also very good: GoPro 3-way | This 3-in-1 mount can be used as a camera grip, extension arm or tripod.

Hope this helps

I will take a look at the backscatter flip3.1 it does look nice and I like how it would be easy to flip filters on or off. However I saw this video and it made me lean more towards SRP. I do not know if the video is legit as the comparison between SRP and backscatter seem pretty drastic (skip to 1:20 to see the comparison side by side)
GOPRO vs new SRP and Backscatter RED FILTERS for DIVE HOUSING - YouTube

I cant watch the video on my phone, but be careful with the backscatter, there have been a lot of people on this forums that have had bad luck with them and have been treated poorly by their customer service

I am shopping for a red filter for my new 3+. What's the best glass to use for polarizer and red? If I buy the CYD is there a separate adaptor I need to buy for the polarizer?

Thanks

Sent from Tablet, please excuse brevity and typos...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom