My very first attempt at UW Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKA, backscatter. It comes from having the light too close to the camera lens. This is why a tray with arms to move the lights away from the lens is preferable when using lights.
I have a pole and a tray but no lights yet. I will use them with my new camera for the first time in Bonaire in March and will not use a light this trip. If the quality is not up snuff I will buy arms and at least one light for the next trip.
Even in Bonaire you have to use a filter to get red back in. I will go in februari to egypt armed with filter and lights. My first time using these. I did film in Egypt before but without a filter. Post process in helps but not enough.

Does the Brinyte have a diffuser? I own a Brinyte DIV05 which I like but this is my dive light. For video I opted for a more diffuse lamp (archon D11V).

The DIV05 is a little to white (cool) to give the real colors back imo.

To prevent the "snowy" image you should use 2 lights and space them. That way the snowflakes right in front of the camera do not get lit up. (atleast, that is what everyone says. I have to try next month)

Hello Jaccoermers,
All Brinyte flashlight can be changed into video light.
Like DIV05 changed to use convex lens, so beam angle 120 degree.
Most customers think the light brighter, diving better. So they choose cool white beam.
But in fact I think warm white color is better, not only for video, also help to protect sea creatures.

Hello Jaccoermers,
Most customers think the light brighter, diving better. So they choose cool white beam.
But in fact I think warm white color is better, not only for video, also help to protect sea creatures.
I have always hated the cool white light and been on the lookout for warm white. But the Div01 does not throw a warm white either. Which Brinyte has a warm white led of around 5000k?

P
PS I replaced the original video with a slightly improved edited version.

Sent from Tablet, please excuse brevity and typos...

Hello Jaccoermers,
how to change the light? I now have 2 archon d11v's for video but just in case :wink:

I just learnt something, Thanks! I looked it up and now I realize avoiding backscatter is near impossible with the ZGear light mount. I see no choice but place the light parallel to the direction I am shooting in. :(

P

Hi Pearlman, this is Z Gear we are sorry to hear you are having problems using the mono pole light mount. If you think that you are not satisfied using this mount let us know so that we can either address the problem or make sure you get a refund.

Thanks,

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Hi Pearlman, this is Z Gear we are sorry to hear you are having problems using the mono pole light mount. If you think that you are not satisfied using this mount let us know so that we can either address the problem or make sure you get a refund.

Thanks,

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Hey Frank, ZGear

I think I didn't make it clear and hence you misunderstood. I love the ZGear fitment. It is sturdy and confidence inspiring - no fear of losing an expensive dive light UW. I was only referring to a specific technical challenge of UW videography which is backscatter and the fact that the solution requires a video light at an angle to the lens. It is obvious such a lighting arrangement is not possible with a monopole fitting. Not a fault of your product - it is designed for a monopole and thats that. Otherwise the design and execution of manufacturing quality deserves an applause. Flexible yet sturdy.

PS: I got so many compliments on each day of diving from different people, for having a great and classy looking set of video gear - with the UK Pro pole with orange handle, a GoPro, a Red filter and the torch with ZGear mount just underneath and parallel to the GoPRo, it musta looked like a modern laser guided version of the old fashioned spear gun a.k.a "Bond" gear. :wink::D The ZGear light mount certainly gave it that extra "oomph". People who saw me use it UW simply walked up and complimented me after the dive. I think this product will sell more by word of mouth than Internet advertising. BTW I made it a point to mention your product by name each time as a compliment to your company as a way of saying Thanks.

Cheers
P

Hey Frank, ZGear

I think I didn't make it clear and hence you misunderstood. I love the ZGear fitment. It is sturdy and confidence inspiring - no fear of losing an expensive dive light UW. I was only referring to a specific technical challenge of UW videography which is backscatter and the fact that the solution requires a video light at an angle to the lens. It is obvious such a lighting arrangement is not possible with a monopole fitting. Not a fault of your product - it is designed for a monopole and thats that. Otherwise the design and execution of manufacturing quality deserves an applause. Flexible yet sturdy.

PS: I got so many compliments on each day of diving from different people, for having a great and classy looking set of video gear - with the UK Pro pole with orange handle, a GoPro, a Red filter and the torch with ZGear mount just underneath and parallel to the GoPRo, it musta looked like a modern laser guided version of the old fashioned spear gun a.k.a "Bond" gear. :wink::D The ZGear light mount certainly gave it that extra "oomph". People who saw me use it UW simply walked up and complimented me after the dive. I think this product will sell more by word of mouth than Internet advertising. BTW I made it a point to mention your product by name each time as a compliment to your company as a way of saying Thanks.

Cheers
P

Thank you Pearlman for sharing that with us and your compliments, we appreciate it very much.

Cheers
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

how to change the light? I now have 2 archon d11v's for video but just in case :wink:

Only one ways, you need a video flashlight's head, like our below link: use convex lens and no reflector.
Yeguang Technology

Buying from our location delar maybe more convenient, in consideration of Interntional Express.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 09:37 PM ----------

I have always hated the cool white light and been on the lookout for warm white. But the Div01 does not throw a warm white either. Which Brinyte has a warm white led of around 5000k?

P
PS I replaced the original video with a slightly improved edited version.

DIV01 could use different LED when producing it. But we will have CREE 5C LED(4000K) in March.
Now we only have CREE 1C (6000K-6100K) and CREE 8A (2700-2900K).
If you want different LED, maybe need contact us directly or ask our location delar booking it.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom