Got Air?

How many times have you forgotten to turn on your air before entering the water?

• Never!! I have skills!

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • less than 5 times

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • less than 10 times

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Air? What air?

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not done the air yet (buddy check has cornered it the twice it could have happened) but i HAVE done the forgetting to zip drysuit trick.

Got cold.

cdiver2 once bubbled...
I will be the first to admit it. Once after helping get everyone on the boat kited up and into the water I rushed to join my wife who was waiting for me to kit up I jumped in to join her. I had turned or checked everyone's air but my own, it took a long time to live that one down. ( I sometimes assist the DM on the charter boat that I use ).
Im not to big to admit Im not a god or walk on water.

I just recently pulled a similar stunt while in Florida. Wife had just put her rig on just as I 'cracked' the valve on my tank. Just as all this was happening a rather large swell pummeled the boat and I grabbed her to keep her from falling, stupidly I didn't finish turning my tank on:eek: . Then I commited the second sin of not having her check 'my' though I did check hers. 14 minutes later and 30' down, no air:wacko: , I was not happy and she was even less so since she thought I was indicating another OOA drill. Although it worked out fine since neither of us panicked, I turned my gas on and continued the dive. I did hear about later though:wink: .

Well I can't say that I have forgotten to turn my air on, but I am notorious for beginning my descent with out having a reg in my mouth. I usually remember my reg at about 15 feet when I realize I need air.

snorkeld from the stern of the boat to the anchor line and dived with the snorkel still in my mouth !!!!!!!!!! I realised my mistake with the first breath, I catch on fast.
Never did things like this untill I meet my wife she takes my breath away.

I have done the snorkel thing. Funny how they breathe really wet when you are a couple feet underwater. :)

lal7176 once bubbled...
I have never forgot to turn on my air but three seperate DM's on three seperate trips politely turned off my air seconds before splashing in. Needless to say i tell them to keep their hands off my gear now.

:wacko: What? How? Why? I won't ask who.

What? How? Why? I won't ask who.

It seems the DM's around here like to check your valve to make sure its on right before you jump off of the platform of the boat. These particular three have a bad habit of turning the valve back and fourth several times for some reason. Somehow they managed to turn my air off. Lucky for me there was plenty of air in my bc to keep me afloat and i always breathe my reg for a few seconds before i descend. After that i would tell them i checked my valve myself and politely tell them not to touch. Some DM's always ask questions before touching your gear and others just do so without asking. I very rarely boat dive anymore but when i do i am the only person who touches my gear.

I always have the same problem when a shop unfamiliar with manifolded doubles fill my tanks. Its like there is more knobs than they know what to do with. They must open and close the isolation valve about 10 times. Its kind of comical. :D

I haven't completely forgot yet, but I've come close turning it on right before I do the backward roll.

... "Great dive guys, nice to see good skills, everyone change their tank and get some lunch whilst me and Tom the DM fill in some paperwork."

Then we supervise the students changing their tanks, Tom changes his, and I only remember that I have not changed my tank 10 minutes into the dive when I run out of air ... fortunately I am only at 18 metres and tell Tom that I am surfacing, and do a safe ascent to the surface and continue supervising the dive from the surface ... how embarassing!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom