Grand Cayman- East End advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless there's a zipline off the roof of the Ritz Carlton, I don't think there's anything else tall enough on Grand Cayman. :D

We do have Mt Trashmore which I think is a bit higher. :shakehead:

Still, I'd save zip lining for a trip to Jamaica or Central America.

When the highest point on your island (and the most prominent feature of the skyline to greet your cruise ship visitors) is a festering heap of garbage then it is way past time to get serious about solid waste management.

Just wanted to check in and see if anybody else has good recommendations? We have signed up for a few dives with Ocean Frontiers. We also signed up for the Stingray City trip. Going to try to do a few shore dives too. If anybody has recently gone, would love to hear the feedback. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Ocean Frontier, VIP services! They turned around at 30-40 mins depending who reached half tank first. The guide will leave you near the boat to explore at that time to use up your air or come up w him. I tagged along w several divers until I was low on air,700psi you need to come up. First dive is the wall, maximum depth 100,oops I went 102-105ft with 50-60 mins bottom time. Second dive was between 60-80ft and I bottom out at 75 mins. Each dives we went thru a swim thru at shoot you out to the wall. At one time 5 Caribbean reef sharks sightings on one dive, 2 turtles, and one eagle ray! The night dive was a disappointment. The website reads " it can be a guided dive",but the mentioned " this is not a guided dive and it's hard to manage divers on a night dive. They buddy me up w a young couple and we got lost. The only thing we saw was sea grass and Star fish. I ended the dive at 45 mins w half tank. However, they was a safety diver in the water. I should have followed him! Sorry, I did not do any shore dives while I was in Grand Cayman on the East End. Remember, Ocean Frontier caters to intermediate to experience divers. They will also be new advance divers (12 dives)on the boat, but will not hold your hands. 2 boys(18-22yrs old) Dad and Mom was on the dive w them and didn't looked after them. They reached half tank quickly so we turned around. The guide told them to go higher and level off, but didn't listen and shoot up like a cork screw. The guide tried to reach them, but they went too fast to compromise his safety. I saw them go up and tried to mentioned to them to go down, from 80 ft to the surface in minutes.
Morritts Tortuga Divers is a good fit for new OW and newly Padi Advanced Divers. I used them on 2 days for an afternoon shallow dives. So, I didn't fully used their VIP services since I had to carry my gear to and from Morritts and OF, I did it for my girlfriend to make her feel confident. Morritts have a special $50 for one tank shallow dive so it's a win win for me and my girlfriend.
My girlfriend is a newly certified diver so I wanted to go w her to keep a my eyes on her, it's her first Ocean water dives after getting her certification in AZ lake. The guide had a junior diver on board and her Dad was present. At first she had weights issues than had ears problems. Finally, after several attempts she took her to the boat. I watched it from the bottom at 40 ft w my girlfriend. Dad went w us and looks like he is a confident diver. My girlfiend really had a good dive the guide kept it slow, show her things, asked for time. I think they did an outstanding job making her feel comfortable. She lasted 50 mins and reached 68 ft. Both operation will fill tanks to the maximum, at one time I had 3400psi.
Sorry, I did not do any shore dives. I heard it's quite challenging on the East end for a shore dives. Since, it rain for 3 days straight I also didn't want to go out, plus I had to entertain the kids between dives. You need to go to Rum Point and Kaibo if you have time. My family had a wonderful time there! I'm still on the island. I'm diving Northwest side of the island w Divetech while staying at Cobalt Coast. My girlfriend took the kids home! So, one week alone time w hubby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom