Grand Cayman in Dec - trying to decide what side of the island to dive-we have a car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
We're going to be in Grand Cayman for 8 days in December. We'll be staying at [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Grand Caymanian Resort near SMB (free timeshare Exchange). We will be renting a car the entire time.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]So we're trying to decide what side of the island to dive on (and then which dive op obviously). We're reasonably experienced divers with about 250 dives each, and are definitely willing to drive a little bit if there's better diving away from the resort.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Darryl[/FONT]

Was there for a week, only scheduled two days of diving, so went with the basic - tourist dives. Also we are in the sub-50 dive range.

Boat op from 7MB and an evening dive up North of 7MB. Search on my username for more info.

So other than visiting wrecks in the 7MB area, the "better" places are NOT where we dove. Next time I go down, I want to do the northern part near Rum Point.

We were there last month and shore dove everyday. We had a car as well. No boat trips, but if the shops and operation for shore diving is indicative of the boat dive quality, best would have to be Sundivers up at Turtle Reef. Next best would be Dive Tech at Cobalt Coast, then Don Fosters and Sunset Divers, with Eden Rock last.

Sundivers, Dive Tech, and Don Fosters all did excellent briefings upon request. Don Fosters rented the nicest gear (computers were standard). Sundivers just went above and beyond with bringing our tanks to the benches, setting out our weights, even disassembling our gear when we returned (even our own bc's).

Forgot to add, we are going back in Dec as well.

We're going to be in Grand Cayman for 8 days in December. We'll be staying at Grand Caymanian Resort near SMB (free timeshare Exchange). We will be renting a car the entire time.

So we're trying to decide what side of the island to dive on (and then which dive op obviously). We're reasonably experienced divers with about 250 dives each, and are definitely willing to drive a little bit if there's better diving away from the resort.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Darryl

At that time of year, the decision will be made for you - by the weather. I expect you will be diving on the W Side. Dive ops rarely go to the N Wall in Dec.

IMHO the best diving is on the East End. Use Ocean Frontiers if you head that way. Only downside is it's a long way and you will get seriously fed up with traffic doing it every day.

I normally dive with Divetech .Have done more shorediving than boat diving with them. If you get a boat dive package you can get unlimited tanks for shore diving. Boat dive in the morning,shore dives afternoon and evening would be a good way to go.

Last edited:
At that time of year, the decision will be made for you - by the weather. I expect you will be diving on the W Side. Dive ops rarely go to the N Wall in Dec.

Hey Alex, can you expound upon that a little. By weather are you referring to storms or just wind?

Is the diving on the West side still good if it's blown out on the east and north?

When you say N wall, do you mean up on the northern part of the west side (like the Divetech area) or elsewhere?

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions.

Hey Alex, can you expound upon that a little. By weather are you referring to storms or just wind?

Is the diving on the West side still good if it's blown out on the east and north?

When you say N wall, do you mean up on the northern part of the west side (like the Divetech area) or elsewhere?

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions.

No, not obvious at all.

In Dec. the problem is mostly just wind. The hurricane season is over, although it is possible (barely) to have one in Dec.

Diving on the West side means, generally, from George Town north to NW Point. DiveTech is a couple of miles further on. The North Wall runs from around Pappagallo's (Ghost Mountain dive site) all the way to Valley of the Dolls on the northeast corner of the island. When the wind prevents diving on the "north side" it is almost always fine for diving on the West side. The South side, which runs from around Sand Cay to off towards the East End, is also generally good for diving when the north side is blown out.

Personally, I find the shallow sites on the W side rather gray and beaten up. There are some excellent deep dives there, though, and the Kittiwake is there. There are a number of south side sites which are under appreciated and worth exploring.

Hope this helps!

I don't know if it is normal or not. I have only been to Grand Cayman once, it was in early December. The west side was blown out for 4 of the 7 days we were there. The diving we got to do was on the south side. We were at Sunset House and they put us in vans and took us to the south side. The shore dive at Sunset House was closed to diving. I enjoyed the south side diving, I wonder what I missed by not having access to the west side.

Hi Darryl, we have a timeshare at the Grand Caymanian. It is very convenient to dive with Diver's Down which has an office right at the lobby. I have been diving with them many times and like the small number of divers per boat. I find them to be fun, safe and good. I have only been North once since the wind usually prevents it when we have been there in December, March and April. 7MB has quite a few decent dives including Kittiwake wreck.

Traffic can be a real pain, I avoid driving to the east end unless someone new is with us. Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom