Grand Cayman Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PandaBear

Reaction score
Is $5pp for party of five adequate tip for good service in Grand Cayman? More? Anyone know what's customary on the island?

Thanks everybody.

PandaBear

Hi PandaBear,

Probably not for good service. $3-$5 pp/per tank is more like it. It is quite expensive to live on GC.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

PandaBear,

For a waitress/chef combo in a restaurant on Cayman--or anywhere else, I guess--10-20% is the range that covers most comfort levels--from parsimonious to generous. A two-tank dive in the Caymans is about $70...i.e., $7-$14 per person per two-tank dive is the the range that puts DMs/boat captains on a par with waitresses.

I hope that any waitresses or DM's out there do not take any offense--just trying to set up the algebraic equation!

Barbara and I tend to discuss how helpful the DM was, if he went out of his way to "find" unusual fish, and all the other things that make a dive better than average...then we tip accordlingly--high for above and beyond, low to nothing for just filling a space.

We tend to be generous because we really appreciate enthusiastic, knowledgeable dive masters!

Joewr

A fair number of times bills in GC come with a "service charge" ALREADY ADDED to the total.

So make sure to check the cheque BEFORE you decide to add the tip. Chances are they've already done it, REGARDLESS of whether or not you feel the serving person deserved a tip.

Just thought I'd warn ya,

~SubMariner~

Hi gulfdiver,

Yes, USD works fine. Just remember $1USD=$.82KYD.

Getting close now.

DocVikingo

I agree with the 3-5$ per tank per person. It's very expensive to live on the island, and these guys make no money, when they say "be sure to take care of you DM and crew, they work for tips..." they mean it!
What operator are you going out with?
J

Although most of us divemasters here thoroughly love our work and taking the extra time to point out things of interest and interesting critters and interactions.. we don't make a whole lot of money and it is expensive to live here. But beware... as Submariner said, a small few of the larger operations on the island include a 15% gratuity in their final bill as do many of the restaurants. And,as Doc V said, US dollars are great... just remember the exchange rate.
Have a safe and fun trip! Casey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom