Grand cayman trip questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.
I am taking a trip to Grand Cayman next month. Staying at Cobalt Coast resort and diving with them. I was wondering if anybody has some suggestions or information about the place. Have not been to Grand Cayman in 15 years. Usually dive at smaller islands like Brac, Little Cayman, Bonaire, Roatan, etc. Bringing the kids this time, age 11 and 13, both certified divers.
Specifically, What is the water temp mid March there? Wondering which wetsuit to bring.
How about places to eat? any great restaurants we need to try?
What about topside stuff to do when not diving? Specifically stuff to do with the kids who may not want to do 3 dives per day.
Any dive sites we need to be sure to hit when we are there? I did go to Stingray city when I was there last. Probably would not go again myself, but the kids might want to see it.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob

Grand Cayman has changed a lot in the last 15 years. It will scarcely be recognizable.

You'll need to rent a car if you are staying at Cobalt Coast and expecting to do several outings.

If your kids enjoy skateboarding then you must take them to the Black Pearl Skate Park at Grand Harbour. It is one of the largest terrain parks in the world.

Parasailing, horseback riding, or submarine rides might be enjoyable. The 11 year old might particularly like the 100 dive on a sub if he/she feels limited by the 40ft depth limit for divers age 11.

For diving, water temp should be about 80, perhaps as low as 78 depending upon how many nor'westers we get. It has been a slightly cooler winter and mid-March typically brings some of the coldest water of the year. The kids need well fitting full wetsuits for their comfort. Cayman dive shops often do not have suitable suits in children's sizes.

Plan on a trip out to Rum Point for you last day in order to off gas. It is a nice and well shaded beach that tends not to be as busy as the hot spots on Seven Mile Beach.

The kids would probably be thrilled to dive at Stingray City. It is a perfect opportunity for a very shallow dive.

Hi I've been going to Cayman for 15 yrs and it certainly has changed as several folks here have noted. Cobalt Coast is located further nrth of the old Turtle Farm location. A little tough to find and nowhere nearby unfortunately for kids to roam. Cobalt does have possibly the best shore diving sites on the island right outside your back door- much healthier reefs than the west side locations from the old Coconut Harbor on down past Sunset House to where Seaview used to be...Cobalt has a nice pool and is a beautiful facility. Water temps should be in the 79 degree area...we usually wear 3 mil shorties and do 3-4 dives a day without getting cold. We took our 15 yr old boys to GC several yrs ago and they enjoyed crusiing up and down 7 Mile.. GC is very safe and we never have been concerned in our years going there. Take a trip out to the East End and check out Ocean Frontiers- imo the best diving on the island. My favorite spot is Babylon- followed by Eagle Ray Pass up north.

Thanks for the info. 78-80º is pretty cold to me. I will probably bring my 5mil full suit. (maybe I'm just a wimp) My wife will probably bring her 7 mil. She gets cold.
Kids both have full wetsuits, so hopefully they will be ok.

Its been a couple years since we've been to Cayman; have been going there 20 years or so.

I agree with previous posts that a walk on seven mile beach is fun. We have always enjoyed taking a break from diving with some snorkelling at Cemetary Beach. Parots Cove - right downtown - is also an easy snorkell. Kids should have a chance to see the stingrays because it is so unique.

Have a great time, D-

Uh... there are a few spots to snorkle in George Town but Parrot's Landing (I think that is what you refer to) is long closed. There was an explosion of a pressure vessel there in March 1998 which killed one employee and injured several others.

Drew,
We are planning a trip to Cobalt Coast in June.
Do you have any info. about the buses that run to and from 7 mile beach?
Would the be reliable transportation for occasional trips to the area?
RJ

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 80

Back
Top Bottom