Grand Cayman weather in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T23

Reaction score
Ok, I've been to GC a few times, though only in the fall and spring. Now I've got an opportunity to head down next month. Can anyone give me an idea what the weather, water temps and vis may be like in July?

July has a greater chance of rain which often is in short, intense downpours with isolated bursts of wind. On average the wind is moderate and more ESE, which should give a slightly better chance of suitable conditions on the North Wall. Air temps reach the mid to high 80s with overnight lows dropping into the upper 70s.

Water temps are rising at that time of year. Expect 83 to 84F. Many people feel comfortable without a wetsuit. Water visibility is improving a bit, with the average around 90-100ft.

July is still early in the hurricane season. If a storm passes anywhere in the Western Caribbean at any time immediately before or during your trip, then all average weather and conditions information is irrelevant.

I was there for my honeymoon last year. It was a little warm at times but not like it would be in much of the US during that time of the year. I found it to be quite comfortable. The water is amazingly comfortable and warm. We had a little rain but it was always short and there were NO hurricane dangers at all. Hopefully you'll have the same success!!

They are calling for "Rough" 3-6 foot seas and issuing a caution for small craft in the open ocean. 15-20 knot winds this weekend.

I'm heading there to dive (west end resort) - should I be concerned about my dives being canceled?

Thanks everyone

W

We have very few days in which dives have to be cancelled. Much more likely is a situation where all diving is confined to a certain area or side of the island. For example, it may be too rough to dive the N Wall but you can still dive the more protected W side. So, the odds are with you but no guarantees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom