Great Big Thread of Scuba Tips and Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean once bubbled...
With the fact that the key to my car has a smart chip inside, and due to my lack of understanding (or trust) as to whether the key is waterproof with respect to the chip, I put my car key into a waterproof box I clip to a D-ring.--Sean
Is the chip needed to get into the car, or just to get the ignition on? How about just locking the smart key in the car or trunk and using a dumb key to get back in?

On a related waterproofing note: credit cards and magstripe hotel cards are not bothered by saltwater at all, except maybe the signature on the back of the credit card.

Or maybe mine wore off from overuse.....

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
but one that is useful to me is make a spare car key and bungee it into a bc pocket or necklace it around your neck.
I put a loop of bungee cord in each pocket, then clip all items off to it. If it's worth taking, it's worth keeping.

I have lanyards on both my folding knife and shears. The lanyard goes on my wrist before it unclips from the bungee. If you need the knife or shears, you probably don't want to take the chance of dropping it.

MarcusCarr once bubbled...
or

continue to exhale if your regulator comes out of your mouth. dont hold your breath.

Marcus
No need to exhale. Just don't close your airway. If you exhale too much before you sweep your arm and find the reg, you may inhale water. Not nice.

Cough. Notice the how you closed your airway just before coughing. Don't do that underwater if you are ascending.

scubasean once bubbled...

With the fact that the key to my car has a smart chip inside, and due to my lack of understanding (or trust) as to whether the key is waterproof with respect to the chip, I put my car key into a waterproof box I clip to a D-ring.

--Sean

I felt the same way, but my car (a Saturn) came with an "emergency" key that only opens the doors and won't let you start the ignition. I just made a copy of that key for the bc, and leave the "real" ignition keys in my glove box while diving. This way, the keys I need are safe, along with all of my other id, clothes, etc.. and I don't need to worry about ruining the key that will let me drive away later.

If you don't have any, dive insurance might be a good idea especialy if you dive any distance from home on vacations etc...

It can be gotten quite cheaply through DAN or a few other places like the insurance agency SDI/TDI uses.

----

Along with the spare car door key on the chain arond my neck, I had a set of dogtags made.

One has my name, blood type, "no allergies" and emergency contact info (sisters name & number). The other has the DAN hotline number and my DAN insurance account info.

It cost me less than $10 to get em made and I figure in a real emergency they just might be worth something.

Here is another tip.. Always bring a jug of water with you if you are shore diving. Use it to wet down your cam straps before you tighten the straps around the tank.. It's amazing how many diver's tanks fall off when their cam straps get wet and stretch.

A couple of things that are really obvious, but only once you see it....

On a night dive, hold your light right up against the SPG. Most are phosphorescent and this will charge it up so you can easily read it. Same for compass.

To reach your tank valve, put your elbow alongside your head, not out to the side like might be seem more natural.

Don't just check pressure on your SPG before you jump in. Suck in a big breath or purge to see if the needle fluctuates (if it does, then open up the valve the rest of the way. Still does -- you better take a look at your reg's inlet filter.).

Your reg works both above and below the surface. A snorkel doesn't. Use your reg while getting back on the boat.

If a buddy or DM says "trust me", don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom