Great Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple... Big hole...go down... Swim around a bit. Come up... High five the dive... And then been there done that. As others have said know where to draw the line and don't just follow the crowd. Dive smart.

Why does everyone seem to hate blue hole? With some of the responses I've received I somewhat regret posting the question.

From my perspective the answer is hype. In the end ask yourself the question...how much really good diving do you want to do while in belize? If the answer is lots then doing the blue hole equates to one or perhaps two other much more spectacular dives. Your choice big deep hole or... :)

Troy, there are some that post negatives about the BH and they haven't even been there. Ive been in the BH at least a dozen times and I'll do it again. The geologic history is just one of the reasons it is so cool.

Check out videos on YouTube! Make sure you are properly trained and experienced to enjoy it. After all, if you are (or any other new diver) isnt truly ready, then the focus will not be on looking around and the magnificence but instead on being inward focused.

I also think the naysayers on this board are more vocal for some reason that escapes me for the most part.

Pm me if you would like more details of the dive .

---------- Post added March 15th, 2014 at 11:46 AM ----------

What It's Really Like To Dive The Great Blue Hole - Belize Adventure

Why does everyone seem to hate blue hole? With some of the responses I've received I somewhat regret posting the question.

It might be the :search: thing. This subject has been brought up a few times, as might be inferred from the MOD quotation.

Everybody is going to do it (or something similar) at least once, if you've had similar dive experiences and understand what it is, you too might just skip the cost and time factor. Maybe not.

It aint the only Blue Hole in town... err, the Caribbean, anyway.

Just understand each of the factors involved, the depth, the remoteness, what you'll see... match that against your log book abilities and a "return on investment".

...Jacques Cousteau's top 10 dive sites and must do's...

JYC thought it was a dy-no-mite dive, but the more you look at "must do" dive sites, you'll see that they are compiled (and amended regularly) for readers of SCUBA magazines and are derived from the Marketing Departments of various local government agencies.

Still though, beats anything in Wisconsin's inland waters, so- maybe?

Be sure to see and concentrate on the other Belizian dive sites, they are some of the best in the Caribbean.

No need for regrets! Yur lernin. As you have now most likely figured out the Blue Hole is a destination dive created by marketing machines as opposed to divers.

Many divers dive it once and then never again. If it was so wonderful then we would have a whole pile of repeat divers wanting to go back. I think you will find very few repeat divers. I have heard of liveaboard trips that voted to skip the dive entirely in order to get more dives in on Half Moon & Long Caye.

I have done the hole once. Have been back 4 more times and could not be bothered to gear up.

The dive is deep, a group dive and VERY SHORT. That is 3 strikes for me.

But I encourage you to try it and then make up your own mind.

I don't think everyone hates the blue hole, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a lot of divers who agree that it's a top 10 must do dive, on the other hand you will find a lot of divers who would agree that the blue hole is certainly at the top of the list of the top 10 over-hyped dives on the planet. You'll also find a lot of divers who will agree that the blue hole is also in the top 10 dive sites where PADI dive rules and protocols are violated.

I get the feeling you haven't done what more than one person has suggested and that is to search this site for "blue hole" and do some reading. You will get more information about why people are ho-hum about it and why there is so much caution and warning being voiced your way about it. Do the search, do some reading and you'll get an education very quickly, then make your decisions after your education or ask some specific questions.

Troy,
When are your going to Belize? I will be there in June 2014. As stated on the board, lots of threads about this. One mans horrible is another mans fantastic. So you will get it is great and you will hear it sucks. I have never dove the Blue Hole, and don't plan to. I have 580+ dives and for me personally, doing this dive on an AL80 is not something I want to do. From what I hear it is essentially a tourist trap and is vastly over hyped. The dive planning of the dive operators is also a bit, ummm interesting.

Visit www.belieadventure.ca/great-blue-hole for one divers report. and read the medical advice about other divers who did the dive to their determent.
Go to YOUTUBE and search for Belize Blue Hole SCUBA Dives - several to choose from. I found it interesting that in most of the videos, the fish pretty much disappeared after 60 feet, leaving the deep dive to be primarily to see stalactites.

Do not ever do a TRUST ME DIVE. That is where you rely on someone else's skills to get you there and back because the dive exceeds your training, skill and competence. During the dive briefing you may (I am told will) hear the DM tell you your dive computer "may" show deco. The dive profile they outline is more than may, how about likely! I am also told the real sights (if you call looking at rocks real sights) are below 150 feet).

I see you plan to:
A: have 35 dives before you go
B: Have completed the deep diver course (note that is not a DECO diver course).
That said, how is your air consumption and Surface Air Consumption Rate (SAC)? How is your buoyancy? Can you maintain your desired depth while remaining still? Can you ascend consistently from what ever depth at 30 feet per minute or less?

See below for EXAMPLE dive profiles for the BH. The first at a SAC of 1.0 and the second at 0.65. NOTE, EXAMPLES FOR DISCUSSION ONLY, NOT FOR USE IN DIVE PLANNING. Your actual SAC rate is most likely different from the examples and will vary from dive to dive based on conditions, current, temp, hydration, physical conditioning, rest and mental state. All of the below dive plans make the following assumptions:
1. NO DIVES in PREVIOUS 24 HOURS.
2. Decent rate of 40 feet per minute (I tend to drift down slowly, even slower than that)
3. AL S80 tank filled to 3000 PSI (right, like that is likely to happen on the dive boat).
4. Ascent rate of 30 feet per minute
5. Actual Bottom Time of 7 minutes at depth of 135 feet

In reading my Belize dive operators information the BH will take 2-2.5 hours to get there and cost $355.00 for Blue Hole/Lighthouse (Blue Hole Park Fee NOT included).
Example Blue Hole Dive SAC 1.jpg
Blue Hole Dive 0-65SAC.jpg
Now if you will look carefully at these dive profiles, you will note that both dives are DECO dives, and that running out of AIR before you complete all of the deco is very likely. Nope, too much great diving in Belize much closer to my resort for me to waste that much money on what is for me high risk diving.

YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY AND DIVE DECISIONS. Oh, and just in case where is the nearest decompression chamber in relation to the BH?. Have you joined Divers Alert Network(DAN) and purchased Dive Insurance (or obtained a dive insurance from somewhere)?

Mike, what gives you the feeling that I haven't done any research? I have done hours of research to include inquiring about BH in these forums. Do you always make assumptions about what people do and don't do without even knowing them?

I appreciate feed back but no need to be rude to me!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom