GREAT time in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey i just got back from a week of diving on the island of Roatan and had a really great time. My wife and I stated at the Luna Beach Resort on the west end . The resort and dive staff treated us fabulous. Boat rides to the reef were short, small dive groups and the dive masters actually dove the whole time with us ,unlike alot of resorts. They also fill your tanks to 3k in water bath unlike the one's that hot fill in air to 2200 psi.This is the perferct resort for smalll groups or a non-diving spouse. Food is great and not out of line price wise, and a short walk to town provides the nightlife. The resort has one big dive boat with lots of room for 15 to 20 divers. I will definately consider going back. Thanks for a great time Luna Beach. Stogie:wink:

stoggie:
Hey i just got back from a week of diving on the island of Roatan and had a really great time. My wife and I stated at the Luna Beach Resort on the west end . The resort and dive staff treated us fabulous. Boat rides to the reef were short, small dive groups and the dive masters actually dove the whole time with us ,unlike alot of resorts. They also fill your tanks to 3k in water bath unlike the one's that hot fill in air to 2200 psi.This is the perferct resort for smalll groups or a non-diving spouse. Food is great and not out of line price wise, and a short walk to town provides the nightlife. The resort has one big dive boat with lots of room for 15 to 20 divers. I will definitely consider going back. Thanks for a great time Luna Beach. Stogie:wink:

I have a daughter getting certified and a non-diving spouse.

What kinds of activities are available at Luna Beach for the non-diving spouse?
What other activities are available in general when you are not diving?

Luna has a beach with snorkling but be ready for the sand flies, they are all over the island of Roatan. Take some repellant with deet and alot of benadril itch cream. My wife had a bad time but they did not bother me. The resort has a pool and a nature trail, it's a close walk into West End (shopping , bars, resturants,fishing) You can get a water taxi to a park that has a jungle canopay slide which is a great afternoon. Wolfgang is the dive instructor and he does a good job! Stoggie

I was in Roatan last week too. Stayed at Fantasy Island. Kind of an average resort but a first rate dive op. Got 19 dives last week; they were all good.

Now if I can just get out of the Atlanta airport and back to Indy...

I just returned from Roatan as well. You must have been that guy who was about 6 foot 6 and 375 with the bushy red beard. Just kidding.

Stayed at the BannanaRama resort on West Bay Beach. It's a popular place for non-guests to go that don't have a dive op. at their own resort, so you have to make sure you get on the schedule early in the trip. Cabannas were like summer camp and the tiki bar is a popular spot for resort workers and dive masters in training to hang out. People come in off the beach for food and drinks. Any place that the locals like to frequent is where I want to be anyway. The owners are a young Gringo couple who are very accomodating. The sand fleas aren't as bad as I thought they might be, don't worry about that. One complaint I have about Roatan is that the streams you see running onto the beach and into the surf are polluted with sewage from the local third world population. It's obvious because of the smell. In the west end you could smell sewage while you were dining in the restuarants. Also, the food sucks in most of the restuarants on the island. They have no idea how to make pizza.

My wife and I have been to Roatan twice and have had no problems with the sand fleas. Due to a friend's advice we started taking mega Vitamin B complex tabs a couple weeks before the trip and continued all during our stay. No bites at all while others were covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom