Great White Cage Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of rumors as to what is legal or what is sportsmanship when discussing chumming.

Link to CA DFG Regs
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

Then search chum for relevant info.

It's not legal to chum for Great Whites inside the 3 mile limit in the Monterey Bay
National Marine Sanctuary. This is a side effect of a Pacific Star GW trip to Ano Nuevo
where the chum drifted a few miles down the coast to a popular surfing spot.
The Surfrider Foundation got the rule put in place. And, IIRC, there are similar rules
in the Gulf of the Farallones NMS, though I couldn't Google them up.

See http://montereybay.noaa.gov/Resourcepro/regulations.html and search on
"attract" and "chum".

Last edited:
AlwaysMakingMoneyCom:

Heck of a story. Thanks for sharing.

(I'll try not thinking about it when diving there this weekend.)

Man, I know what you're talking about, I too will most likely be out there this weekend TRYING to not think about that story.

Great story though. I hope I never share your experience.

Rob

It's not legal to chum for Great Whites inside the 3 mile limit in the Monterey Bay
National Marine Sanctuary. This is a side effect of a Pacific Start GW trip to Ano Nuevo
where the chum drifted a few miles down the coast to a popular surfing spot.
The Surfrider Foundation got the rule put in place. And, IIRC, there are similar rules
in the Gulf of the Farallones NMS, though I couldn't Google them up.

See MBNMS: Sanctuary Laws & Regulations and search on
"attract" and "chum".

I was thinking sportfishing. I do not think chumming is allowed at all for GWS since they are not sportfish.

1.32. Chumming.​
Placing any material in the water, other than on a hook while angling, for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken.

This is a story of abalone diving. Are you guys saying that you will be abalone diving this weekend?

I've never heard of a fatal attack on a Scuba diver by a white shark, although I've heard of attacks none that has ended in death.

I've goggled and used up all my resources and come up blank... I've heard of horror stories with some divers that got taken by tigers, it was brutal the story I read... Literally the diver that tried to assist saw his companion gettting eaten up alive...

MG

P.S
I looked a little harder and found this:

Shark kills scuba diver
A marine biologist has been killed by a shark while diving off Adelaide, in South Australia.
010905shark.jpg
Jarrod Stehbens, 23, was one of two researchers from the University of Adelaide collecting cuttlefish eggs off Gleneig Beach. The crew of their cover boat managed to haul aboard the other diver, Justin Rowntree.

The divers were reported to be at a depth of about 5m in some 18m of water when the attack occurred. Rowntree reported that the shark brushed past him first. He initially thought it was one of several dolphins they had seen, but then watched as it attacked his companion.

Rowntree said Stehbens successfully rebuffed the shark on its first approach, but then it turned on him again and got hold of his leg. Rowntree last saw Stehbens being dragged downward, seemingly calm as he tried to free himself from the shark's grip.

Asked to describe the shark, Rowntree referred to a "big white mass". Speculation linked the attack almost certainly with a great white shark which, with the bronze whaler, is regarded locally as the only shark capable of taking a diver without trace. Searchers found only a BC and cylinder.

Fatalities involving non-fishing scuba divers are extremely rare; victims are more normally snorkellers, swimmers, surfers and, in particular, spearfishermen whose catches are thought to draw sharks in.

In the past nine months, Australia has suffered three other fatal shark attacks. In March, snorkeller Geoffrey Brazier, 26, was killed in the Abrolhos Islands, near Perth. Last December, surfer Nick Peterson, 18, was attacked off West Beach, near Adelaide; and, the same month, spearfisherman Mark Thompson, 38, died over the Great Barrier Reef near Cairns, in Queensland.

Last edited:
I heard about Randy Fry for the first time a few weeks ago at the NorCal Picasso Open.

I thought that large sharks would tend to not come in shallower areas, or between a reef or island and shore because they are afraid of getting stuck in shallow areas.

When I am floating alone breathing up, I tend to face out to sea. I am neutrally buoyant at 30'. Randy was in only 15' of water.

Sonoma was nice this weekend. I saw no GWS.

One of the guys who I go diving with is supposed to go this year. I will make sure to send back a second hand report.

Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old now, but I hate to break my promises:

Caught up with my friend, and he said his trip to Guadelupe (sp?) was amazing, and they saw "loads" of Great Whites, as the attached link attests:

Flickr.com - Isla Guadelupe - White Sharks

The bad news is that he said the company they went with (didn't give me a name) was thinking of not doing it again next season. But they certainly had an unbelievable time.

I have put it on my list of things to do before I die...

yikes...amazing vid

But I remember once when I was on the Indianapolis.... ;-)

Still on my list as a must dive someday...Guadalupe....seems a far better option than the Farallons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom