Great White Shark on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling I usually get from Gilligan's pictures..........

My first response was "Oh man, I was there a year ago".

Then I thought, "Hmmm, a guy with a Safeway camera saw a Great White and lived to tell the story!" Then I thought, "And I haven't heard of attacks in Maui lately." Hundreds or 000's visit Molokini daily to snorkel and dive. Obviously, conditions have to be just right for the shark danger to "actualize".

It still gives me the shivers though.

Gilligan, I think you're gonna need a bigger kayak :)

orangeBloke:
Gilligan, I think you're gonna need a bigger kayak :)

:rofl:

Man, I was just there too. Reefs End can get pretty deep. That must have been one creepy deco or safety stop! Also when I was there the current was ripping around that side, that Guy really deserves some Kudos for gettin' the shot.

Nice...I just love sharks, specially GW's they are just amazing creatures. thanks

Very Interesting.

that's a great dive. was there a few times in december and in the early evenings and had up to 5 mantas swimming around us.

>>And I haven't heard of attacks in Maui lately."<<<

there was actually a death last january or february off maui in what i believe was a presumed tiger shark attack.

Shaka Doug:
Just another reason to bring your camera on every dive!
Due to some missed opportunities, I now take my camera on every dive, and make sure I keep some shots in reserve for the "once in a lifetime" encounters.

Hey, that's my picture!!!

I was the one with Blesi from B&B Scuba Maui that got to share the water with "Whitey". Definitely got our attention, especially when it turned toward us. It came within 15 feet before deciding we weren't worth the trouble. But it REALLY checked us out. We ended up hugging the coral...the eels didn't seem so bad suddenly. And yes, the 3 minutes on the anchor line were the longest of my life.

"Safeway Camera"? Hey, that was an MX-10 with a malfunctioning strobe...might have saved my life!!!

Jon

Back
Top Bottom