greeter team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well I must admit I don't like the idea , lets me give you few reasons and I am sure there are others.
I rather be greeted to this board by someone who was interested In me not racking up posts like most of the greeter's are doing , also I don't think it looks very good or professional !!!!!!!!!!! ,
I am not wanting to start a war hear just thought I post my 2 cents and sure others will join in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I do like the idea of greeters, but I have to agree that I'd rather see a semi-personalized greeting than a repeated copy greeting. Off the top of my head, I remember Don, Scott R. and Headhunter's greets are changed to suit the new person.

I did notice that a newbie tends to be pounced on by four or five canned greeters....heh

Oh well...

i kinda agree, though the newbie doesn't know this and still feels good that someone took the time to say hello. only later will he/she realise it was a copy paste.

what isn't cool though is that they have the tag greeter, which kinda gives ya the feeling that they're only saying hello coz they have too. but it's still better than no one saying hello.

Well, I joined the board a week ago and I was pleasantly suprised to see that about ten people responded to my Introduction mail. If I had no respond I probably would have never visited the board again. I do not know if most of the "hello" posts are copy - paste, but still they give you a welcome feeling.

I have to agree with Medic13 here. I typically only respond to posts in the Intros and Greets forum if I have somthing that can be of some use to the person who initially posted. For example last night when I checked new posts I saw a post from a newbie introducing themselves and asking about diving on Long Island, I pointed that person to one of Dan Berg's books, and the Wreck Valley Forum.

TTSkipper

These guys and gals were doing this on their own before we "sanctioned" it. There are no rewards for "elevated" post counts, so I am not sure why you assign them that motivation. To a person, they are committed to a cyber home that they have found, and they want everyone coming here to have an EXCELLENT experience. I applaud their efforts and feel they are a real asset to the board.

I have to agree with Pete. Don was doing this long before he got the "Greeter" status. They are all doing a great job welcoming new people to the board. Do you not feel that it is better to say hello then let someone feel like they are not welcome?

medic13:
well I must admit I don't like the idea , lets me give you few reasons and I am sure there are others.
I rather be greeted to this board by someone who was interested In me not racking up posts like most of the greeter's are doing , also I don't think it looks very good or professional !!!!!!!!!!! ,
I am not wanting to start a war hear just thought I post my 2 cents and sure others will join in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your concerns. However, I do want you to know that even though, yes, I am guilty of using the same post more then once, I AM NOT doing it to bring up a post count, I don't really know what difference that makes... I started greeting because I love to meet new people, especially divers, and have been greeting way before I joined the "greeter team."

I like to be able to greet as many new members as possible, and there are days when there just wouldn't be time to personalize each and every greet. HOWEVER, I was thinking about this before the post even came up, and you should know that I am at least going to try to make things more "personal."

Safe diving...
Kayla :dazzler1:

I think these individuals do a good job but I wish we could call them something other than GREETER. I feel like I am walking into a Walmart or something.

I know when I joined SB, a few actually took time to send me a personal welcome and I really appreciated that. COBALTBABE was one of them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I really don't care for "canned" hello's either and it would be easy for someone to fall into that scenario.

These folks do try to make it "personal" and that's good. I wish we could come up with a different "title" other than greeter.

Just my 2 cents... ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom