Greetings from Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
You're right. The Oshima I'm talking about is here...
Considering that 'shima' basically means 'island' there are probably loads of different ones all over Japan! :D

IwakuniDiver:
Around here we pretty much dive around Oshima Island and whenever we can, we go to Susa, on the Sea of Japan side where the water is much clearer..

Are you talking about East Sea, aren't you? I have never heard "Sea of Japan." Does it existed?:wink:

The Sea of Japan refers to the body of water that is between Japan and Korea. Although it is internationally recognized as the Sea of Japan, South Korea has disputed this name for many years.

Seems that Korea has called it The East Sea or "Dong Hae" and since since Japan and Korea never agree on anything, that pretty much sums it up.

I call it the Sea of Japan becuase that's what it's called here in Japan and it's what I was taught to call it in Geography Class.

Same body of water though.

Glad you've joined us...

Sorry if you had a challenge getting registered. :blush:

:cowboy: don

IwakuniDiver:
I call it the Sea of Japan becuase that's what it's called here in Japan and it's what I was taught to call it in Geography Class..

Just out of curiosity, where did you take your Geography class?

hoosier:
Are you talking about East Sea, aren't you? I have never heard "Sea of Japan." Does it existed?:wink:

hoosier:
Just out of curiosity, where did you take your Geography class?
Easy there, Tex...

I'll confirm that's what it's called here, The Sea of Japan or The Japan Sea. I've never heard it talked about before I got here, so maybe English speakers in other countries refer to it as something different. This name we are using might be a direct translation of how it is referred to in Japanese.

It's also how the BBC refers to it on the world news - I thought CNN did as well. It's amusing really, I've never heard the Koreans try to refer to the water on their west coast as the West Sea...I wonder why? :D

It's a common theme around the world though. We (the English) refer to the water between the UK and the Continent as the 'English Channel' - the French of course hate that and just call it the 'Channel' or 'La Manche'!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom