Grouper Attacks Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link Stone. I guess down under they really call 'em Gropers.:tree:Bob

ADG,

Sounds to my like a Freudian slip!

ID

I am availabe for groping on Wednesday's and Saturdays, the rest of the time, just plain ole lusting.

G/day
Reference from the Macquarie Dictionary "GROPER" any or several species of large Australia or NZ fishwith an enormously wide mouth opening. Funny did not mention the word GROUPER.

:jester: :) :D

Grouper Attacks Diver

FJ,
You said Grouper in your subject header and text. The newspaper article constantly uses Groper. Are we talking about the same fish? Guess that's why it's confusing.:tree:Bob

Sorry, I was trying to write the article using the American way of spelling Grouper, but in my article I used the Aussie way Groper, hence a few of the members were unsure what a Groper was.
!!!!:wink:

Following up on the groper line....a dive buddy of mine was mounted by a sea lion :egrin: funniest damn thing I ever saw....does that count as part of the groper story? It got funnier when he surfaced spouting that he had just been violated!! We all just about drown laughing at the whole thing!! ages

I had a frightful encounter with a Giant Grouper early last year. Swimming close to some big rock formations, I turned a sharp corner and was greeted by this massive head, bulging eyes and a huge mouth. Gave me a major fright. My group thought I was testing out the speed of my then new twinjets, when they saw me suddenly bolt from behind the rock. :D

I can imagine how the victim felt during his ordeal. From a distance, these big guys look like any normal fish in the sea, but they can be a monstrous sight up close and sudden head-ons. I read that they have a habit of sneaking up on divers whose backs are turned. Fortunately, all the groupers that I've encountered have been pretty docile.

ages, that's really funny! Probably a female in heat who got bored with the males and found your buddy too irresistible.:1st:

We had (repeat..HAD) a couple nice size JewFish Groupers on a popular wreck site here in Fort Walton Beach/Destin Florida. Unfortunately, some $%&!#ole decided to shoot them with a spear gun, then left them on/in the wreck. One was Huge, Some estimate he was close to or over 300 pounds. Killing or Fishing for JewFish Groupers are highly illegal here in florida. The jerk just killed them and left. At the size they were, it's easy to identify a jewfish, it was real obvious.
:upset:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom